Chapter 43: Better safe than sorry

Komand's eyelids slowly started to rise. She flinched slightly from the pain her wounds caused, when the young woman tried to move. Komand hissed quietly. She felt a hand gently touching her chest, not letting her move too much. Komand opened her eyes and saw a familiar white haired monarch sitting on a chair nearby, who kept a small smile on his face. The light always surrounding him seemed to be much brighter than usual.

"You are very pretty when you sleep, you know?" He said.

The woman smiled softly, shifting her head on a pillow. "Where are we?" She asked.

"You were seriously damaged. I ended Fright, so the attackers lost the battle. I just carried you to the hospital, after healing what I could myself."

"Good to know," Komand mumbled with half closed eyes. "Is something wrong?"

"You sensed it, didn't you?" Danny chuckled, but his look clearly showed his true emotions. "I've trained you well...but not good enough, apparently."

"Oh, Danny," Komand raised her hand and touched his cheek. "You are blaming yourself again."

"Are you...not mad at me?"

"For what? For saving my stupid butt?"

"For putting you in danger. I should have known that everything would be this way, it was just so obvious. And yet I let this happen, I..."

"Danny," Komand said firmly, effectively stoping his panicking ramble. "You are not in fault here. I know you would have come sooner if you could. But you don't need to worry about something you aren't able to prevent."

"Doesn't mean that I can't feel bad about leaving you for certain death."

Komand was about to lightly slap her lover for his stupidity, when the medical droid quickly stomped into the room.

"Sir, there is a..."

"MOMMY!"

It happened too quickly. One second there was no one in the room, but then there was one seven years old hugging Komand. The woman winced slightly, because the girl touched her wounded places. Danny at seeing this removed Dani by phasing her off. The girl's look turned from happy to concerned in a split second.

"Are you okay, mommy?" She asked while her father put her on a lap.

Komand smiled, "Yes, I'm fine, sweetheart. Your father is just worried for nothing."

Danny pouted. "That's because I love you so much," he whined.

"What's this thingy under your eye?" Dani asked.

Komand raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

Phantom took a datapad lying nearby. He activated the front camera and gave the device to his lover. Komand gasped slightly and put a hand on the place. There was a small scar going from under her eye to the nose. She looked up at Danny.

"So, does it make me look fat?" Komand asked dryly.

"No, you are still pretty, mommy," Dani answered instead.

Both adults laughed. "Yeah, what she said," Danny added, shaking the girl slightly. "I think it makes you even more cute."

The woman blushed slightly at the praise and smiled.

"Oh, come here, you flatterer," she pulled him closer and kissed Phantom lightly. But then she pulled away. "No more until you realize that you are not guilty for my little misfortune."

Danny chuckled, but then one of the droids went into the room again.

"Sir, there is a crowd of journalists outside."