Сhapter 39: Ruusan station

There were a lot things Phantom could think about. Military offenses, economy, intrigues within the Confederacy. At the moment, he didn't want to think about anything of that. It kept happening again and again, and it was nothing out of ordinary. Danny never wished for the power given to him, but he had accepted the responsibility. Despite not needing any physical rest, mental exhaustion wasn't something foreign even to him. The best way to have a rest for your mind is to make it do something different. To read, for example.

Phantom felt something rubbing against his shoulder. His eyes looked to the left and he saw his lover, who was snuggling closer to him.

"It's getting late, you know," he commented softly.

"I know," Komand mumbled with closed eyes. "I'm not a four years old."

"Yes, you are a Senator," Danny turned over the page. "And the tongue has a habit of tying into a knot when you haven't slept enough."

"I hate this job," the Yuth grumbled. "And I hate you."

"Oh, what makes you so grumpy?" The ghost raised an eyebrow, his tone showing that he understood the exaggeration.  

"I want to fight, not sit on an uncomfortable green chair," Komand opened her purple eyes and looked into his glowing ones.

Even if they were much more than a Master and his servant, he was still her Emperor, and what he said outsode of their home was an order. Danny sighed, closing the book.

"I understand, dear. But the plan is the plan. We have to follow it through."

"Can't you make at least one little exception?" The young woman made an adorable pout.

"You use. My weapon. Against me," Danny complained, before sighing again. "Is there no way I can convince you to stay here?"

"Nope."

"Well, I think there is a job for you. If you promise not to risk your neck."

Komand nodded and smiled, before giving him a slight peck on a cheek and drifting back to sleep on his shoulder. Phantom meanwhile was contemplating where to send her so it wouldn't be a distant outpost or a massive slaughter. It also shouldn't look like Komand was one of the commanders under his leadership. He was interfering into others' errands more than enough. Granted, mostly with a success, but it irritated the fellow Council members. It angered them even more that they couldn't accuse him of betrayal. Everything he did was for the Confederacy, well, him too in the extension.

The terrorists on Ryloth were 'eliminated' by the General's elite guards. In reality, they were just driven out of the capital, arrested, and freed to go home when no one was looking. However, some had to move to the village, away from the general public's eyes. But that was still better than being sold into slavery. Phantom kept his word, not a single slaver ship made it to the planet. He prohibited their very presence and did everything for that, which made him more popular among the Twi'leks. But Trandoshans and Zygerrians didn't like him much. And they couldn't leave the Confederacy, because their reputation was...questionable.

The day after Phantom had to leave to Hoth. The ice planet, inhabited mostly by tontons, non-sentient creatures which could be used as steeds, and wampas, the beasts which fed from them. As was previously mentioned, it was a hub through which the special synthesised fuel was transported to the Confederacy. It would undoubtedly lead to the planet becoming a target of the Republic when they discover about it. That's why there were multiple ships on the orbit, and, just in case, the Imperial armada was a few parsecs away. If they were to be led into the fight, no survivors must have been left.

"The supplying is going steadily, Your Majesty," the Terran officer was reporting to him as they walked near the huge tanks with ectoplasm. "As you can see, we have more than enough. If only we could refine it on Terra..."