Chapter 20: The Emperor's allies

When Komand came out of hyperspace near Pluto, she realized that the First Fleet had relocated from its starting positions. Knowing only one place where they could go, Komand set course to Earth and understood that her suspicion was correct. Most of the ships were flying around the planetary orbit, completely ignoring the debris around, but still avoiding contact with ridiculously looking space station. However, no matter how hard she tried to look, Komand couldn't find Hyperion.

The apprentice pressed a few buttons and contacted one of the Star Destroyers. The communication officer responded and his hologram appeared.

"Greetings ma'am, what's the reason of this call?"

"I need to know where the Emperor is."

"His Majesty's ship is at these coordinates. I'll mark it on your map."

Komand nodded and the transmission was over. She flew into the planetary atmosphere and rather soon she was above Amity Park. The sky was free of any clouds, and the Emperor's pitch black flagship stood out in the clean blue sky. Once she approached the ship and received a permission to land, Komand moved her ship in one of the hangers and didn't wait long to leave it. She walked down the corridors, knowing that her Master could be only in two places: his room and the bridge. Since the former was closer, Komand decided to check it out first.

When she got a few floors higher, the apprentice saw HK, who was standing near the door of Danny's room. Komand couldn't hear what he was saying, so she walked closer.

"What's going on?" The apprentice asked.

HK turned to her.

"Explanation: Ever since we have taken over that town beneath us, Master hadn't left his quarters and is still refusing to come out."

Raising her eyebrow, Komand knocked at the door.

"Danny, it's me, can you open the door?" She asked.

"No," a curt voice was heard through the piece of metal.

"I'm not going anywhere, Phantom. Open the door or I'll find the way to open it."

"God, you are persistent," Danny knew that she will go along with her threat. "HK, you may go, let us talk alone."

HK nodded and walked off, before the door was unlocked and Komand was able to enter it. She wasn't expecting what she saw. Danny was lying on the sofa, with numerous bottles scattered on the floor nearby. It was obvious what kind of liquids was present inside of them not so long ago.

"You know," Danny murmured, shaking the bottle in his hand. "In moments like this I hate my immunity to toxins. I can't even get drunk and knock myself out."

"What happened?" She asked quietly, sitting nearby. To cause such a reaction from him of all people...

"I killed them, Komand," Danny said bluntly, making a gulp.

"But isn't it what you wanted all along?"

"I did. But for some reason, I feel weird."

He was about to make another gulp, when Komand slapped the bottle out of his hands. It fell on the floor and shattered.

"Stop whining right now, and tell me why you are like that."

"This is what I planned to do, didn't I?"

Komand blushed in embarrassment at his words. She may have overreacted a bit. Danny sighed.

"When I planned to kill them, I had a purpose, something to work towards. Now," he shrugged. "They are gone. Exterminated, shot down like coward dogs they are. After all, even if they were rare pieces of shit, they still were my parents. I remembered several good episodes of my childhood, that rare moments when they decided to pay any attention to me. I...I couldn't bring myself to inflict finishing blow, even if they were dying by my hand already. At the moment, they were unarmed, helpless. Somewhere deep inside...I knew it was wrong, even after what they did. I could feel all the hatred and rage burning inside of me, and this act could finish my turn to the Dark Side. But thank goodness, I prevented myself from doing it personally. Instead of inflicting further damage, I ordered the soldiers to execute them. Swiftly and painlessly."