Chapter 21: The heiress of the Empire

Phantom hurriedly followed the Far Frozen denizen through the icy caves lying beneath the main hall. They served not only the purpose of hidden research facilties, but also a hideout, which meant that the path was very tricky and bizarre, so the invading enemy would get lost and the yeti ghosts would have time to escape. Their path was lightened by several diode lamps hanging from the ceiling, their light reflecting from the ice walls.

All the while Danny's mind was racing on rapid speed. The messenger hadn't shared much information, and the young man was left to his own assumptions. What did he mean by that? And what insane idea could come to Vlad's fruitloopish mind this time?

The ghost led Phantom inside one of the doors, inside poorly lightened room. It wasn't big, there were several chairs and one lab table. Near one wall stood something hidden behind black clothing. However, Danny could see a weak green light coming from behind the cover. Frostbite was sitting nearby, all the while glancing at the hidden object.

"Alright, Frostbite, what's going on?" Danny asked, crossing his hands.

"I'm sorry to interrupt the celebration, Great One. But it was the best moment to discuss this matter, when everyone is outside."

"Get closer to the topic, please."

The chieftain looked at the messenger. "Leave us."

As the messenger went out of the room, the door shut behind him, Phantom tapped on the ground, before looking at the hidden object. Taking a deep sigh, he touched and grabbed the clothing, before pulling it down. He didn't know what he expected to see, but it certainly wasn't what stood in front of his eyes. A large glass tube, filled with greenish water, probably because of added ectoplasm. But it wasn't what made Danny jump slightly in surprise.

There was a body, situated near the top. Small and fragile body, which could belong only to a three year old. Judging from...special traits, it was a girl. So that's who the messenger meant by 'she'. The girl was breathing through the special mask on her face. And all the nutrients were obviously received from ectoplasm in the water. Smart decision. If she is at least a half ghost. A human, especially that young, would have died because of literally swimming in the ectoplasm. Danny raised his eyebrow at that thought. Frostbite rose from his seat and approached the Emperor from behind.

"We have changed breathing masks so they will fit her as she grew. When we found her one year ago, the girl was on a stage of a newborn toddler. My decision was to contain her and maintain proper life conditions, at least until your return. I had a hope that you are still alive somewhere. In a way, at least."

Danny wasn't moving his eyes from the girl. "Who are you, little one?" He mumbled.

"I have answer for that, Great One. When we moved the girl here, we took a DNA sample. Also, when we discovered that she was starting to form a ghostly core, we made an ectosignature scan. It was truly fascinating. We have never seen a newborn halfa and its growth," Frostbite coughed. "Apologies, got off topic. My point is, we also have your scans ever since Undergrowth ordeal. And...they almost entirely match."

Phantom's eyes were ready to jump out of his eyes. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"Apparently, she is your clone."

Danny dropped on a chair, his mind going completely numb. Taking a deep breath, Phantom looked at Frostbite.

"H-how?! I...I don't even know what to think!" He jumped from his seat and paced around. "I know Vlad was a fruitloop, but to actually CLONE ME? How is this even possible...that's insane, ridiculous! Wait...why is my clone a GIRL?"

"Are you aware about genetic aspects?"

Frostbite received a shake of Danny's head.

"Very well, we have been studying the reasons of such strange situation. While having similar genetic structure, she follows typical laws of biology. All males have one X chromosome and one Y chromosome. And obviously, your sample did have Y chromosome at first. We suspect it happened because Plasmius lacked the required genetic material. Because you can't make an embryo with only male seed. And since Plasmius didn't have female materials, he relied on ectoplasm and the ghosts' birth process."