Chapter 41: The rising threat

A.N. Merry Christmas, everyone! Or maybe it's too early or too late. Still, have a good time!

"To order, to order, gentlemen!" The governor called over the loud chatter.

It seemed that the UN building was becoming more and more noisy. Since it had been a govermental body for over four years, the debates became more lively. It was like a boiling pot. Too many powerful nations with their own personal interests, held together only by a common Imperial hegemony and the same amount of Star Destroyers above the orbit as Babylon itself. They just waited to start an argument, and now was such an occasion.

"I don't clearly understand the problem with the issue."

"Well, maybe because the Emperor had sent an alien lapdog?!" Someone called from the hall. Over the chatter it was impossible to detect who said this.

Well, whoever said this was correct, and that's what was most insulting. Phantom needed to find someone without any ties to Terra, in order to prevent the separatism support, and it should have been a near human race, because the Terrans weren't used to alien appearances. So, it was a Chiss. He had proven to be a valuable administrator on one of the planets, so being a co-governing figure on the Empire's second most valuable planet was one hell of promotion.

When the deputies calmed down, one of them decided to explain everything. The UN had been unofficially split into two factions - Pro-Imperial and Anti-Imperial. The delegate was from the latter.

"You see, Mr. Vresto, we have met this thing before and we are not eager to repeat it."

"The five year plan has given a jump start to the Imperial industry," the Chiss reasoned. "You are speaking of 'communists', I presume?"

Of course, he wouldn't have been put in charge without learning the basics of Terran history. The governor got several nods.

"The Soviets had good results at the beginning, too. Look where it has gotten them."

"No one said that the system is perfect, nor that it will be constant," The Chiss said from his place on the tribune. "The fact is, the Emperor wishes to achieve an economical growth in a short period of time. No one here speaks of abolishing capitalism. The companies must simply follow the instructions given to them from time to time, in order to prevent the massive collapses. And the High Council doesn't demand the impossible. We are not an old Empire which was mercilessly using the labors to build everything it needed in no time."

"And who is responsible for creating those plans?"

"The leading economists of your planet, the list of that individuals will be presented to you by tomorrow. You have hundreds of millions of workless and starving people, while some Imperial planets have none. This is precisely the purpose of the plans. After building up, the industries would go to the private hands. Your planet is one of the later joiners, so the first plan didn't concern you. Now half of the Galaxy is under the Emperor's rule, and each planet must follow through with the second plan. Terra should have no problems with this, since the ectoplasm alone grants you an enormous wealth. You should fit the image."

"Why does the Emperor think that we 'should'?"

"Because you have a choice only because he has let you to. The investments are being put into development of the planet."

"Not as much as in the military. Why does the Empire put fifty percents of its income into an army when there is nothing threatening it?"

"Should we talk about this on each session?" Another delegate asked his opposing colleague.

"And I shall repeat that it is to maintain order in stellar state. Many members of the Empire are ready to tear each others' throats and only the threat of the central government's intervention prevents them from killing each other. The Republic..."