Chapter 36: Intrigues

Danny didn't know why he agreed on this. The ghost wasn't on the frontline, neither he was withthe rest of his family. Of course, Ahsoka counted as the family member, very much so, but she was also the one to bring him on Shili, away from the places the Emperor's job required him to be. But it was important for his surrogate daughter, so Phantom got a spare moment. Ever since Danny gave his agreement, the teenage girl seemed really excited. Too sad Ahsoka hadn't told him what exactly she had in mind.

Well, here they were, sitting on a rock surrounded by the tall grass. They were eating at the moment, a small lunch composed of sandwiches, juices and fruits. It was a very peaceful place: some birds chirped and the grass softly rustled around them. The sky was bright blue, and the sun was at its zenith. Danny smiled, it was actually a nice change, all that blasts and explosions were going to make him deaf.

The victory over Eriadu was outstanding. The superior Republican fleet was in ruins and the Jedi leading it was captured. And Phantom couldn't believe his luck, he captured the member of the Jedi Council. He had to give it to the man, Master Koth agreed to surrender to save his people. Phantom promised to keep them unharmed. He kept the promise, but the Jedi needed to be transported to Count Dooku. For what reason, Danny didn't know, but suspected something nasty.

And with Admiral Trench utterly humilated after his pathetic defeat over Cristophsis, Phantom looked like Caesar returning from Gallia compared to him. But it was only one victory, there were still Republican enclaves within the Confederacy's territory. Danny decided to appeal to the Separatist Senate, through his dearest yuth, of course. Asking the Council would have been suspicious. Besides, most Senators were led by interests of their planets, not money. They needed results, and Phantom gave them.

Of course, there was Grievous. He won the battle and settled fear in the hearts of the Republican citizens. Phantom wondered who he was, but there was nothing. The Intelligence couldn't find anything: no full name, no birth certificate. It helped with building the appearance of a creepy monster. On chicken legs. Phantom snickered the entire day when he got this thought. Members of the Imperial Council looked at him weirdly, once he attended the meeting. But, unlike the Separatist one, they didn't dare to say a word, despite the kind personality of the Emperor.

"Hey, kiddo," Danny called as Ahsoka took a bite of chicken sandwich. "I don't mind being here, but why exactly do you want to?"

The girl ate the meal and looked up at her father. She was wearing white leggins and red slightly heeled boots. Above the leggins was a short red skirt, and her higher chest was covered by a red piece of clothing, which showed her belly.

"I wanted to see my planet again. Thanks again for taking me here."

"No problem, I can do it in a few seconds, you know. But it isn't the only thing you came here for, right?" Danny asked calmly.

"Uhm...maybe."

Suddenly they caught a rustle in the grass. It was distant, but they caught it nevertheless. Ahsoka sniffed the air and grimaced.

"Oh-oh."

Phantom caught a glimpse of something long, furry and orange between the stalks of yellow grass. His hand went to the lightsaber on his belt. Ahsoka meanwhile prepared to take her own swords, stepping as far as she could into open ground. Understanding what she had in mind, Danny followed the gesture.

"What exactly are we looking for?" He asked.

"There are a lot of predators on this planet. If that's what I think it is, we got a jackpot."

Phantom raised his eyebrow, but followed the girl, who ran forward. She was very agile, and was able to get forward. But Ahsoka patiently waited for her father to catch up. Soon they got to the edge of the field, peaking out from the tall stalks of grass. On the opening was a creature, which was chewing down the corpse of one unlucky Togruta. Danny covered the girl's eyes instinctively, but Ahsoka still tilted her head to the side. The feline predator had a long body, covered in orange fur. It had a long pronounced jaw, which looked like it was able to chew down metal and spew what stayed between its teeth.