Chapter 63: The end

After the speech, the Emperor simply left. Not before hearing the shouts and pleas. They fell on deaf ears as Phantom demanded only one thing - unconditional surrender. The speech of the monarch was an ultimatum, not an offer. He made it clear that if he couldn't avoid deaths, he would take what he wanted by force. Did the Senate have many options? No, they had only one - to surrender. Many were against it, but pretending like nothing was going on was foolish. The ghost really surpassed his father - he needed twenty eight years to conquer half of the Republic. Phantom took two weeks to conquer its entirety. If he was to one day confront Valkorion in the past, he would brag with it.

The Jedi Order didn't know what to do. The Imperial Garrison was yet to arrive, in order to sign the Republican capitulation. Phantom himself didn't wait for long before leaving after hearing the decision. Anakin honestly was not surprised that the Council feared that all of that kindness was a ruse of the New Emperor. But Coruscant was untouched and it probably wouldn't. Yet another difference from his infamous parent, as no one questioned him anymore. The youngest member of the Council had another thing to worry about, and although he was an Emperor, Phantom had his respect. If he was what he seemed to be, Anakin would even support him. But there was another issue.

"Something concerns you, Skywalker?" Windu asked.

"Nothing. It's nothing," Anakin mumbled.

Obi-Wan meanwhile was thinking as well. He was more cool-headed than his friend, so once the Jedi Masters suggested finding a way of killing the immortal, he remained silent. The mid aged Jedi dedicated his entire life to protecting the Republic and its democracy. Now everything was going to be ruined in but a single day of the Emperor's triumph. That's what Phantom meant when he told him about hatred. The Jedi never hated anyone, as it was the path to the Dark Side. Yet, there was a feeling of betrayal.

In a short break before the arrival of the Imperial forces the lively debates in the Senate were going on. No one could recall them being so loud and chaotic.

"To order, to order, please!" Bail Organa shouted loudly.

With Palpatine gone, the place of the Chancellor was vacant. It was a questionable honor for the famed orator. To be the last Chancellor in history of the Republic. Because people had little doubts about the future disbanding of the Republic's governing body.

"There is little we can do now," Organa called. "Corellia has fallen to the hands of General Grievous and with it our biggest shipyard. He has pledged an allegiance to the Empire. Neutral systems are flocking under the Emperor's rule. Which one of you is mad enough to continue the fight? There is no use in more deaths."

"We are not the Republic of old," Amidala added. And her words were filled with sadness. "We have no power to resist such a force led by such a person as the Emperor."

It made many silent. Padme was faithful to the cause of democracy, she despised all forms of authoritarian regimes. For her to surrender truly meant the end. But she was not going to surrender, in fact, she was going to have a conversation with the monarch. No matter what. Amidala grunted slightly, before moving her robe to hide her bloated belly.

Palpatine escaped. He turned out to be a very powerful Sith, overpowering the Jedi accompanying Windu easily. Only the Jedi Master himself was able to beat him. But the old man found an escape route and disappeared in the large ecumenopolis. They were searching for the runaway Sith, who was humiliated, who had dedicated half of his life to nothing. The Empire of his own was not going to come to life.

As for the people of the Republic? The controversy still lived. But they were too tired to fight any longer. They wanted peace, no matter from whom it came, even if it was Devil himself.