Chapter eighteen

The next two days weren't that bad at my mothers, but that's mostly because I haven't said much to her and she hasn't said much to me. My fathers tombstone came yesterday. It was really beautiful. We removed his old one and had his new one put down. I got him some more roses and laid them all down. I want to replace them as much as possible, but it would be hard to. Maybe, possibly I could get my mother to. It'll take a lot of begging I suppose, but I'm willing to do it for my father.

Jake had been in my room all day just watching tv. He doesn't go around my mother much. I mean can't you see why though? My mother was at work, which was shocking. I figured she'd get fired already. But she probably only stays because of the man she's having sex with. Disgusting.

I've been cleaning around the house all day since I know my mother won't. The place was a complete mess, but by the time I was done it looked a lot better. There wasn't much food so I decided to ask Jake if we could go to the grocery store. And he said we could. He wanted to pay as well though. And he doesn't take no for an answer when it comes to that.

We both got ready and drove to town. The grocery store here was small, and definitely not what Jake was used to, but we found everything we needed.

"What do you want me to fix for lunch when we get back?" I ask.
"I'll be just fine with you." He says as he stares at me.
"You can have me later." I laugh. "But really what do you want?"
"Hmm you should fix the steaks we bought, I'll help too."

I nod and start to hold his hand. We quickly made it back to my house, but there were cars parked outside everywhere. I was so confused on what was going on. We pull into the side of the road since the driveway was full and get out, taking the groceries with us. I noticed a news van was even here. My mother was home too. We walk in and I sit the groceries down. There was reporters sitting in my living room with my mother.

"Uh, what's going on?" I ask walking into the living room.
"Well everyone thought you were missing, which technically you were, so now they want your story so that everyone knows you're okay." My mother explains.
"I don't think I need to tell anyone anything. It's my own business."

Jake watches from the kitchen. He was nervous I could tell, but I wasn't going to say anything about what really happened.

"Well she told me she ran away with him." My mother says.
"Mom!" I somewhat yell.
"What? It's fine."
"You know what? Yes, I ran away with Jake everyone. I love him. I wanted away from my life so when he came along I ran away with him. It was possibly my only way to well escape from her!" I point at my mother in anger.

They gasp and make sure they got everything recorded.

"Are you happy now? You know now. I didn't go missing in my eyes. It's what I wanted and needed!" I say.

I mean parts of it were actually true. And I'm not going to tell the truth because I don't want to lose Jake. I can't, not now. I really do love him.

"I don't know if I believe all of that." My mom smirks.
"Oh really? Why not?" I ask glaring at her.
"Come on, your life was fine here."
"No it really wasn't. I lied to myself all the time saying that my parents do everything they can for me and try their best to give me everything. But I was wrong the only one to ever do that was my father! Not you! You're always out cheating! I'm tired of saying this over and over to you, you know what you've done. To me and my father. Your own child and husband. You didn't deserve either of us." I yell to her.

She looks away from me and says nothing else. She knows it's the truth.

"May we ask a few questions?" A reporter asks.
"Excuse me?"

Jake notices I'm pissed and comes into the living room.

"I think you all need to leave." He says opening the door. "Now." He adds when they don't move. They finally get their things and go out the door.

I run to my room and slam the door. I wanted to be alone, but I also wanted to be held by Jake. He was already at the door asking to come in. I get up and let him in. As soon as he shuts the door I wrap my arms around his neck and jump into his arms, never wanting to let him go. I held onto him so tight. He's the only person I need now.

"Oh babygirl, it's okay I'm here." He whispers into my ear.
"It's just so hard, and now I'm more scared to lose you."
"Baby, you'll never lose me no matter what. I love you and I'll always be here. I'm never leaving." He says.
"I'm scared they'll get suspicious or something. It seems like my mother already is." I say.
"What you told them was very believable. It's fine."
"Well some of it is actually true."
"I know baby." He says as he kisses my forehead.

I still don't let him go, so he walks me over to my bed and lays me down. I just didn't let go.

"No." I smile.
He laughs. "Let me put away the groceries real quick then I'll be back and we can cuddle. Then after well fix something to eat."

I nod and he kisses me, then goes to the kitchen. I cover up and curl into a ball, just thinking about Jake. His soft lips, beautiful eyes, soft wavy hair, strong muscles, toned abs, his rough but warm hands, everything about him was perfect and he was all mine. No one has ever treated me so well. Treated me as if I'm really special. He doesn't just tell me either, he shows me. I couldn't ask for better.

Jake comes back and I smile and jump up. He smiles back and lays down next to me cuddling up with me. I turn to him and lay my head on his shoulder. His arms were wrapped tight around me, like he never wanted to let go. This, this is all I ever needed. We lay like this for almost two hours before going to make what would now be counted as dinner.

Dinner was quickly ready and we both ate in my room and left some in the kitchen for my mother.

"You're such a good cook baby." Jake says.
"Thank you, I try."

He smiles and kisses my cheek.

"You know my birthday is next week." I say.
"I know. I've already got a surprise planned."
"What?" I ask.
"You'll see Sunday."

I nod and finish my dinner.

Wonder what he got me? Or what we're going to do? It's just a day away. I'm excited.

We both finish and I take our plates to the kitchen. I notice my mother was in the living room by herself. I make her plate of food and take it to her.

"Here." I say handing it to her.
"Oh....thank you." She says.

I decide to sit down next to her.

"I-I'm sorry about today and well every other day." She finally says.
"Uh, it's okay I suppose.."
"No, it's really not. I'm a terrible mother. I was a terrible wife. I know I didn't deserve your father or you. Your father and I just started going down hill and it just got worse when you went missing. I was cheating before that. I hate myself for it. When he died, I did too inside. I just slept with whoever because it gave me a little life. When you came back I didn't know what to think because I thought you were dead. I never expected you to run away with someone, but now I see why you could. I see that he treats you well. It's obvious. You'll have a great life with him. Again I'm really sorry sweetie. I know I can't be forgiven, but I am sorry." She says.

"It's okay. You're my mother I'll always forgive you. But I can't promise to be in your life anymore because I can barely forgive you for this. It's been really hard on me these last few days. But I will come to see you sometimes, hopefully. I love you." I kiss her head and go back to my room.

"What took so long?" Jake asks.
"I just got done talking with my mother."
"How did it go?"
"Good actually." I answer.
"Good."

I lay down next to Jake and we turn on a movie. We surprisingly didn't fall asleep on each other. We got a little intimate first, then I fell asleep on Jakes chest.