Chapter 37

Amber's bathroom above

Jason's P.O.V

"My daughter is turning into a punk! Her beautiful skin is now tainted with a horrid tattoo of that monster, a piercing and with a drug problem! What on earth are we going to do?!" Mom screamed out of anger, clutching her hair with sadness and desperation in her eyes.

We are all downstairs whilst a sleeping Amber is still in her room, unaware of the family meeting going on down here, talking about what we're going to do with her and her new problems.

"Well one thing for sure is we're getting a good therapist; my daughter is hooked on heroin and I won't let it progress further!" Dad exclaimed whilst searching for good therapists that specialise in drug addiction online.

"Damon, we don't have the money! We have zero support outside the house, we haven't been going to work so we barely have enough money to feed us and keep the roof over our heads! We can try and fix our daughter ourselves with some good old-fashioned love and affection...and my chocolate orange biscuits that Amber loves!" Mom exclaimed with hope on her face, desperately trying to find other solutions that aren't as cost-effective in our time of crisis.

Mom described Amber as a broken doll, like her drug problem is easy to cure and a bit of love and affection can easily help. She acts like we can whip out some super glue and glue her back together then hug her close to our chests, but it won't work.

I have to break it to her that it's going to take A LOT more than that to cure Amber and her addiction.

More than hugs and kisses can.

We haven't told Amber about this, and I don't think we ever will. Our family has been financially struggling ever since she has been gone, our money is running dangerously low. Whenever I come home from a late shift, the fridge gets emptier and emptier with no new food coming in, only huge credit card debt going through our mailbox daily.

We have taken out multiple loans and borrowed money from friends just to keep us going, but I hate it. We look desperate and practically begging for a few hundred dollars to put food on our plates, which we are.

It's ripping this family further apart and I don't know how much more I can take this.

It's a horrible sight to see when I came home to my mother on her hands and knees, begging my aunty for a loan of five hundred dollars to get us through a couple of weeks. Eventually, aunt Mary caved into her sisters begging and crying and gave us the much-needed money.

My mother and father both lost their well-paid jobs and now it's only me and Dylan providing for the family, being the only people to make money now.

It's like the world is punishing us and condemning my family to a lonely harsh punishment.

But the question was, will we ever get out of it?

A question I ask myself every night.

Will we have enough food to feed us all tomorrow? Will Amber be safe out there alone? Will she ever come back to us? Will my family cope much longer?

Questions that were constantly stuck in my head throughout this whole week and it's making my skin crawl just thinking about it.

We finally have Amber back, but now we face even more problems.

"I will start fighting again, it's the only way to earn more money!" Isaac said with determination and grabbed his coat.

Mom and dad looked horrified at the thought of their son stepping foot in that dungeon again, so they sprinted up to him and held him back, far away from the door.