Chapter 40

Amber's P.O.V 

Before the investigator even opened his mouth to ask me questions, Isaac got out his seat and walked over to me, picks me up by lifting me from under my arms then he sat down in my chair with an embarrassed me on his lap, squashed against his chest possessively.

"What are you doing? Is that really necessary?" The investigator questions Isaac with a judgemental frown deep on his aged face. The investigator had an agitated voice, clearly getting impatient with my family's possessiveness and clinginess towards me.

"Is it a crime to hold my sister? I think not sir." Isaac said sassily whilst glaring at the scary officer that looked like his head was about to explode.

"No, but if you distract Amber during this questioning, I will have to ask you to leave." The investigator said seriously whilst flicking through his notepad.

I buried my head on Isaac's chest in the meantime and listened to his quick heartbeat. "I don't want any trouble Isaac, please I want to get this over and done with," I mumbled against his firm chest, letting him know that I'm serious and don't want any trouble from him.

"Fine but if he steps out of line, I won't just sit back and not do something to protect you princess." Isaac whispered against my head, kissing my forehead and rubbing my back soothingly.

"Okay, are you ready for the questions Amber?" I turn my head to the investigator's direction and move my body round to face him.

"Yeah, I'm ready," I said with all the confidence I could, knowing all the awful details that will be revealed in the next hour.

"Okay, Amber...how would you describe Finnick the day you first met him, what was his personality like towards you?" He started off with and clicked his pen in anticipation. I breathed in and thought about my words carefully.

"The first day I met him, he was very sweet, charming and very outgoing and adventurous, he would tell me stories and crazy things he had done in his life and his stories inspired me." I felt Isaacs grip on my waist tighten after I said this.

"Because of Finnick's previous life events, this made you want to run away with him?" He asked in an accusing tone, sitting forward in his chair and staring at me intensely. I visibly gulped and forced my mouth to open and speak to the intimidating officer.

"No, it wasn't just that. Finnick made me feel very special, he made me realise how cruel and awful the world we live in is, telling me if I would run away with him, we could live a very good life together and explore the world," I said in a whisper towards the end, seeing my families distressed and saddened looks on their faces. The shame and guilt hit me full force once again, making me feel worthless and such a failure towards my family.

I was the worst daughter in the entire world.

The investigator was nodding his head slowly and writing down notes, occasionally glancing up at me with an unknown look on his face.

Issac never let go of his grip on my waist, always rubbing my exposed skin to calm my nerves and probably his as well. I leant my head back and rested it against Isaac's chest, instantly relaxing my head and calming me down.

"Did Finnick ever pressure you into doing things you didn't want to do?" Jeez, it's not even five minutes into the questioning and he's already onto a touchy and sensitive topic. I look up at him to meet his intense gaze, staring deep into my broken soul.

"Okay, I think that's enough!" Jason said sternly and shot daggers at the investigator.

"I'm sorry but she has to answer it."