Chapter 16

*Alex's POV*

Why does heaven feel like dirt, leaves, and twigs? My vision is pitch black.

Uh, what's going on?

The large black cotton balls decide they want to leave, and my vision is filled with a delicate glow.

In fact, I feel it in my chest. My muscles are sore, and I wince in discomfort as I tilt my head down to look at my blood and sweat soaked shirt.

I would gasp if I could, but I can't so I shant. It's like beautiful wires are coming out of my chest where my heart is.

My eyebrow twitches, and my shaky short breaths stop.

If I thought the flames were beautiful, then these glowing wires are freaking gorgeous.

Some wires are glowing purple, and they are paired with a lovely shade of green.

The navy blue glowing ones clash brilliantly with the deep orange ones.

There's a peachy color that I just want to reach out and touch, but I don't want to taint it's beauty. The peach one is twirling gracefully around a deep red wire that reminds me of a strawberry.

They are wound tightly together as if they belong. As if they have always been that way. I realise that I literally just had my soul ripped away from my body.

How the heck is my body still moving?

This is so weird.

A wave of nausea hits me full force like a ton of bricks, and let me tell you: it ain't fun. I feel sick when I think of my body as a warm, squishy exoskeleton.

My stomach churns, and I struggle to keep my twinkies down.

Lord have mercy on my twinkies.

I lean my cheek tiredly against a cool rock near me tiredly, and follow the glowing wires that just lead into the darkness. The soft glow delicately lights up the woods around it so I can

faintly distinguish the shadowy figures of the trees around me.

I hear a groan, and my eyes widen.

I stiffen in shock. I might have just imagined it. Yeah, that's it. It's got to be it, I just imagined it.

The groan was louder this time, and coming from the direction the red and peach wires connected with the green and purple.

Oh, heck to the no.

That wasn't me, that's for sure.

I'm not going to be able to speak until I could choke a thousand gallons worth of water down my dry throat. Heck, I can drink the oceans dry, and my throat will still feel like it has cobwebs.

I squint into the darkness, and the smell of pine needles, and grapes fells my nose. It surprisingly smells good, but not as good as it should for some reason.

I realize that this scent is Jake. The green is pine and the purple is grapes.

So the colors of our wire/soul are like our scent.

Hm, you learn something new everyday.

Our bond is really weak, and I can finally think straight.

Halleluja! Praise the Lord!

I feel so ashamed that I had cried because Jake was treating me terribly. I should've round house kicked that sucker all the way to the Bermuda Triangle when I first laid eyes on him.

I watch in mesmerized silence as the purple and green wires slowly uncoil themselves away from the rest.

I stare in awe as the slow process continues in silence. Even the woodland animals know not to hoot, or walk right now.

I appreciate their silence because I'm shocked my ears haven't started bleeding from that awful sound I heard when I was still on fire.

Tension and anxiety fills my body suddenly as the strands recoil away from the others.

What's happening?

I realize that the deep orange and navy blue glowing wires branch of into another direction from the others, but that my wires flow easily with both of them. It seems like my two wires branch off into four, but they stay the same. My wires are the peach and red ones.

The purple and green ones retreat back to a figure that is leaning up against a tree for support.

Jake.

The urge to slam Jake's face into the dumb tree trunk until the tree breaks is strong, but the urge to just lay here forever is stronger.

When our wires or souls finally separate it's almost like pulling the sides of an elastic band apart, and when you let go they snap together.

When Jake's green and purple glowing wires slowly swirl back to him in silence, my wires latched onto the navy blue and deep orange ones.

My wires morph together to become two wires, tightly coiled around the blue and orange ones.

My heart gallops a mile a minutes at the strength of our bond. Our wires shine way brighter than they used to be. I stare in awe at the coiled wires.

Jake was just getting in the way like he usually does.

I am slightly aware of my mouth gaping open, and I wouldn't be surprised if drool started dripping onto my cheek. Gross? yes. Surprised? no.

I hear a twig snap, disturbing the silence. I don't even bother glancing away from my beautiful wires.

I wonder why I feel completely and utterly happy right now. I just rejected my mate. I guess now that I am looking at something so beautiful, I feel like it's okay to die right now.

Even though I feel like closing my eyes and trying to die a peaceful and happy death right now, it seems impossible for me to tear my eyes away from the wires. I feel like if I glance away, when I look back they'll have disappeared. And I don't want that.

Jake's wire disappears back into his chest, and our bond completely vanishes.

There's no empty feeling or anything, it's just like it was never there in the first place.

I don't feel disappointed though. In fact, I can't help the smug look that creeps onto my face as I watch my wires.

Jake doesn't waste a second, and runs for his life in the direction opposite me.

Or at least he would've if he hadn't tripped on a gnarled tree root in the dark, and face planted into some mushrooms.

I am so happy we aren't mates anymore.

He pushes himself up as quickly as he can, and my smile widens. My lips crack, and blood drips down my cheek.

Whoops.

Jake takes of again, but more carefully this time.

He stumbles in the dark, cursing my children's children as he does.

And I don't mind one bit.