Chapter 22

*Callie’s POV*

I can’t believe I am here right now.  Holton is just talking smack right out in the open, and there’s nothing I can do about it.

What I would like to do is put his money where his mouth is and race the jerk, but Blake wouldn’t be too happy about that.

Blake said he didn’t want to race today-more like he just stared blankly at Holton until he left, and now Holton is saying Blake is a chicken.  I may not be as close to my brother as we used to be, but it still bothers me when people take bad about him.

I pull my leather jacket tightly around my body, and my blonde hair whips in my face.  I spit out strands of hair that get caught in my mouth, disgusted.

It’s times like these that I really wish I had a mate so he could keep me warm. 

That’s right, I haven’t found my mate yet, I’ve gone to the Mating Ceremony and The Hunt and still haven’t found my mate.  I think that’s just depressing.

I had to miss out last year because we were having a bit of a Rogue problem that the Council decided was enough reason to allow us to miss.  I will spare you the horrific details, but we wiped out another pack, and the survivors are collecting into a Rogue Pack.  One of the survivors happens to be the former Pack’s Alpha, and now he wants revenge.

The screeching of tires burning rubber fills the air and shakes me from my thoughts as some dumb rowdy teenage rich snobs take off in their plastic cars.

Might as well spray paint BARBIE across the hood while you’re at it.

I smirk at the thought, and hold in an unladylike snort.  Not that I cared if they heard, it’s just that it would attract unwanted attention from these Yahoos.

Rogue. Blake warns, and my head whips up quickly.  I am surprised I didn’t get whiplash.

That’s usually how our conversations go.  He just speaks to me when he has to.  I try to make conversation-trust me.  But he just won’t budge.  I try on an hourly basis.

He just disconnected himself from everyone after our parents died, so his isolation was understandable-especially for a fourteen year old.

He still had some spark after that though.  It got really bad the afternoon after the Hunt though.  The life had left his eyes, and I was left with a shell of my former brother.  He never told me what happened.  He barely even opened his mouth to eat, let alone speak.

He shut everyone out.  Don’t get me wrong-my brother is an amazing Alpha.  He is strong and has great leadership skills.  It’s just that it’s kind of like he’s mute.

I look up and see a short girl wandering around looking from car to car with a mischievous glint in her eye.  Her long auburn hair swishes around her petite waist and has some twigs in it.  My guess is that she slept in the woods in the Pack next door’s territory.

She brushes off the human’s wolf howls as she walks past, and they even make kissing noises at her.  I scoff at them and roll my eyes.

Men.

The girl looks around seventeen to eighteen years old, and has emerald green eyes with orange flecks in them.  A smirk is plastered to her face, and she has definitely caught my attention.  She seems like someone who can appreciate a good race.

She is shirtless, and in leather pants.  Her sports bra fits her perfectly, and it doesn’t help her blend in. 

So why doesn’t a Rogue want to blend in?  Is she asking for trouble?