Chapter 21

I opened my eyes to see the sun shining through the window. Where was I? I sat up and looked around. I was at Ethan's apartment, but where was Ethan? I swallowed hard, and stepped out from the covers of his bed. I was wearing one of his button up shirts. It was the same light blue one that he wore on the first day of school. The sleeves of it hung down a little past my fingertips. Other than the shirt, all I had on was a pair of white lace underwear that he ruined the night of my birthday. I kept wondering where he was. I walked out of his room and out into the living room. I saw a large pile of books sitting on his wooden table. They were text books. One read 'Fine Arts' across the top of it, but it came with Ethan's address. I opened it and read through the letter. "Claire, we are please to inform you that your application to the Otis College of Art and Design has been accepted for the 2018 Fall Semester in the undergraduate Fine Arts Program.' I had only looked into Otis once with my brother.

My surrounding suddenly became blurry and soon faded. My vision cleared and I was on the stage of my high school auditorium. It was pitch black other than a single spotlight beaming down on me. Although I couldn't see anyone anywhere around me, I heard chuckles and horrible names being thrown my way from the darkness. I instantly found it hard to breathe. I eventually saw a bright light shining down on of the aisles in the audience coming from the opening of the door at the end of it. A man's figure stood in the doorway: only a silhouette in my view. Judging by the volume of his hair, and his stance, I could tell that it was Ethan's. The laughing had stopped, and it completely fell silent. I stared down at Ethan's silhouette and for the longest time, he kept the light from outside the auditorium shining on me. But as time went on and nothing was said, the door slowly started to shut, and as less of the light he brought in lit up my face, I could feel my throat closing up.

I suddenly forced my eyes to open. They stayed focused on the white ceiling about me for quite some time, and my surrounding didn't smell my motel room, or even home, nor Ethan's apartment like I had hoped for. I felt a beating pain in my head. I took a deep breath, thankful that everything in my mind just now was a dream and that's all it was. I brought up my hand to massage my temples, hoping to get rid of the headache, but something tugged at my arm as I tried to raise it. I instantly looked down to an I.V. caressing my veins, I was in the hospital. The sound of a beeping heart monitor suddenly filled my eyes, when before I didn't even take notice in it. I tried sitting up, but I was just too weak, and I could hardly move at all. I looked down at my side. My mothers head was in her arms as she slept and holding my hand with both of hers. I squeezed one of her hands; is being one of the only things I could manage. He head rose a little, and once she noticed what had happened, she laughed up, startling me a bit.

"Oh my god, Claire! You're awake!" She said tears filling up her eyes. "Baby, how are you feeling? Are you okay?" She questioned. I slightly smiled, answering her with my eyes hoping that was enough. Her face suddenly chanced from worry to gratefulness. She laughed a little and hugged me lightly.

"W-What happened?" I said softly and a little shaky, almost difficult to hear.

"You fainted from dehydration and not eating." She said. I automatically felt guilt take over me. I remembered the lonely nights in the motel room, and ridiculous hunger that I felt. I tried ignoring it as I focused on my drawing, but I knew it wouldn't go away.

Suddenly, I heard someone clear their throat behind my mom, but because I couldn't sit up, I couldn't see who it was. She turned around and looked at the person. She looked back at me, smiled.

"Good, he's waking up." She said.

"Who?" I asked curiously.

She smirked, "You owe him a lot right now. . ." She said moving out of my view, showing me who it was. I immediately wanted to break down. It was him. It was Ethan. He was here.