36. Rain

In the morning it was dark and loud, thunder and lightning crashed and boomed above the tiny ranch.

The children where in bed, cuddling dolls or teddies for comfort as the adults stood at the exit, just out of range from the downpour.

They all seemed to be talking about something serious.

Yawning and stretching I then reached down to pat Jay on his head "good morning"

I could tell I had bad morning breath, and my hair must have been a crazy mess too.

Jay yawned in an adorable doggy fashion.

I sighed, rubbing the sleepiness from my eyes.

What a night.

Getting up I awkwardly combed the knots from my hair with my fingers. I could tell my hair needed to be washed and it made me feel self conscious immediately.

Deciding to just get out of my warm bed I walked towards the small group of people. One of which saw me, then tapped another's shoulder.

I quickly gained all their attention.

...

My cheeks turned red in embarrassment as about 7 pair of eyes starred me down as though I was a bug intruding on their picnic.

Jay rubbed agains't my leg, helping to calm me.

"Morning" Jason said, standing forward with a large smile on his face. Lightning hit outside a moment after, but no one seemed to notice but me "how'd you sleep?"

"Alright... I guess" I forced a fake smile, brushing my hair back behind my ears "what are you guys talking about?"

Was that intrusive?

Perhaps.

The man from yesterday talked, only today he was not holding his daughter. She must have been tucked away in her bed still. "We where hoping the storm would be done by Lunch. If it is we where discussing sending our nurse with you. If he is out there, he will probably be sick"

I hadn't even thought about that.

Now I felt even worse.

The old woman stepped forward, an angry expression on her face "I'll go as long as that wolf doesn't come" she sneered.

What a cranky old woman.

Shaking my head my hand went to Jay softly "he's my protection, I can't do that. If there's a problem and I can't use my bow I can count on him. So either you let him come or you don't" I snapped. For some reason I was feeling rather upset lately... emotional really.

The old woman raised an angry eyebrow. She had this look that screamed she was about to cuss at me.

But then she stopped and nodded "fine, bring the filthy thing" and she marched off towards the beds.

All the adults spread out and only one person stayed.

Jason walked up to me, "so did you sleep well?"

"Not at all" I laughed, he joined in awkwardly then apologized, claiming it wasn't usually so hectic at the ranch. "Something happened to the east, now all the travellers have ended up here begging for shelter and food"

My eyebrows raised as I asked "monsters?"

"Not really. There's always been monsters, travellers learned to handle themselves well. It's more like a feeling of being watched... well that's what they say anyway" he shrugged.

Hours passed and the rain was relentless.

Guilt was all I felt.

Here I was socializing in a warm dry building as Link was out there, soaked, cold and probably getting sicker by the second.

I had demanded we leave ten times or more now but I just get a snappy remark back every time.

"Sit down! How do you expect to spot a needle in hay stack during a heavy rainfall?"

"I am not going to get my hair wet, it takes time to look this flawless"

"Just be patient, the rain will stop eventually"

Eventually... that could mean hours still.
Heck maybe I'll spend even another day wasting precious time just because of the weather.

It made me furious.

"Hey want some food?" I snapped out of my anger to see Jason holding a bowl in front of my face "it smells bad but tastes decent once you get passed the tough meat"

My nose scrunched up at the smell "sure thanks, I'll just let it cool" I grabbed the bowl, placing it on the side table.

He nodded and seemed awkward for a moment before asking "where do you come from?"

"The plateau"

He was shocked that was for sure "really? How'd you survive getting down?"

I shrugged making a throaty sound that was a clear 'I don't want to talk about it or anything right now please leave thanks'

Clearly he couldn't understand grumble because he tried to probe more answers out of me. After my fifth grumble response he finally gave up and left.

"Yuck!" I whispered as I grabbed the bowl of foul smelling goop and put it on the floor "want it Jay?"

It smelled so bad I felt like I would pass out.

Luckily my wolf friend ate it happily without hesitation.

A nice hot meal would be great and all but anything that smells that bad would only make me gag at every failed attempt to take a small bite. Besides, Jay was enjoying it.

Remind me to thank him later for saving me from that torture.

The sound of hooves agains't the muddy path drew near and everyone instantly looked at the entrance of the building.

Instantly people started standing, including me, as a hooded rider descended off of his horse.

Everyone was hesitant as he walked into the building.

And then the hood fell and on the forehead of the man was an upside down eye symbol.

_________A/N______________
Hey guys!!!
Sorry this took forever to be posted.
And it's kinda short and lame.
But I had a HUGE writers block and decided to just post this rather than keep waiting.
Hopefully getting over this short chapter will help my creativity and imagination start working again for the next chapters.
Thanks for being SO patient guys.