Ch1 *Edited*

Chapter 1

Jack Johnson's POV

Another day, another beating.

That's my motto. It's actually been my motto for two and a half years. Sad right?

It was Monday, the first day of the week which was honestly my favorite day for reasons.

I threw on a pair of khakis and a Nebraska sweatshirt, which was owned by my brother. I grabbed my glasses and placed them on my nose, looking in the mirror on the door of my room.

My hair was a mess and there was still a faint bruise under my eye, which wasn't really noticeable unless you looked closely. I grabbed my backpack and headed downstairs, the aroma of pancakes filling the room.

"Hey Mom." I spoke, sitting in a stool and grabbing the syrup, pouring it on the pancake plate in front of me. My mother responded by giving me a kiss on the cheek and I smiled slightly, stuffing myself with pancakes.

I finished in a matter of minutes, throwing the paper plate out and putting my fork in the sink.

"Jack wait" My mother exclaimed as I was about to walk out the door. I stopped and turned around to see walking towards me.

"Dad and I won't be back until 11. You sure you'll be ok?" She asked and I nodded my head.

"Mom I'm 17, I'll be fine staying home."

She nodded, giving my one last kiss on the cheek and I gave her a quick hug before heading outside and turned left, walking towards my school.

As I made my way closer to my school, I could see the outline of over a hundred kids waiting outside for the teacher to open the door. It was a warm day and many kids were wearing shorts, unlike me in my pants and heavy sweatshirt. Gotta hide the bruises somehow.

My palms started to sweat as I reached school property and started to walk to a bench in the corner where no one was around. But of course, I had to walk by my bullies, and of course they had to notice me.

"Hey Jack." Cameron sneered, grabbing onto the arm of my sweatshirt. "Going somewhere?"

All I could do was nod my head, looking down at the floor. I knew it was better to take whatever they I was going to get than struggle. It would only get worse anyway.

I knew the others were now looking at me, not saying a word. They didn't really talk rude to me or bad mouth. They were always just there, waiting for whatever directions they were going to get from the ringleader, Cameron.

"Hey let him go." I heard Shawn mutter to Cameron. Shawn was the bystander of all this. He usually just watched and never said anything. Sometimes he would help, but it was rare.

"What'd you just say?" Jack asked, with a hint of shock and anger in his voice. Jack Gilinsky. Golden Boy. Cameron's partner in crime. I used to be that. Jack and I used to be best friends up until we got to high school. That's when things sadly took a turn for the worst.

"Come on. We'll deal with him later." Aaron agreed with Shawn. I mentally thanked both of them as Cameron let go of me. I then decided to look up at all the boys and just saw their backs. They were walking away. That has never happened. Never.

I took a seat on the bench, taking out my journal. Yes, a journal. Not a diary. I didn't really write about my feelings in it though. I usually wrote down some lyrics I usually thought up during the day. I have always wanted to become a singer/songwriter and maybe one day work with the big names. But I doubt that'll happen.

The bell rings, making me put my journal away and walk towards the open door as the teacher had just opened it.

Luckily, I didn't have any of my morning classes with the bullies, except for Shawn. But, he never bothered me much in class.