chapter 4

‘It’s a gargoyle’

It was what first came to mind when I saw the stone statues move. A gargoyle is a stone statue in the shape of a winged demon that has been given life. It generally has decent resistance to both physical and magic damage. Only my enchanted weapon might have a chance of piercing its defenses.

I looked at the dagger in my hand, it’s an enchanted weapon with a gem in its hilt, emitting an aura of frost magic.

‘They don’t seem to think of me as enemy, I should stealthily escape to where those adventurers came from.’

When the people came in I had heard the sound of a door opening which for me represented a way out.

“Gillian, Gargoyle!”

“Shit! Hey… what do we do?”

Creeeaaak! Thud!

The door closes behind them automatically Gillian turned to confirm the door was closed before coming to terms with the situation at hand.

“What are we going to fight them with?” ——– No choice! Fight !

“Our weapons won’t even scratch them.”

“Ian! How about your magic?”

“Right now I can’t, the casting time is quite long. Quickly, Gillian! Pirate! Buy me some time!”

Bang!

Ughh!

Gillian let out a grunt as he received the brunt of two gargoyles’ attacks, defending against the greatsword. Pirate, perhaps a thief, attacked one with his dagger but was sent back flying from the impact.

“Pirate!”

They were a group of four, A warrior and thief in the frontline with a magician and priest in the back. When the thief was sent flying, the priest had to focus on healing him so the warrior was soon overwhelmed and retreated, unable to defend from the Gargoyle’s heavy sword.

With the frontline having crumbled, the mage and priest were vulnerable. A gargoyle heads towards the spellcasters, counter attacking never even crossed their minds as they did their best to barely dodge with awkward rolls.

“Lord, grace me with your strength! Bless!”

The Priest quickly cast some emergency healing and buffs but it wasn’t very useful. The warrior was trying to use block to intercept the gargoyle going after his friend Pirate, but it didn’t seem to work as it continued to advance towards the wounded thief.

Clang!

The warrior slashed the gargoyle but the sword bounced off and he is sent flying by the rebound. As he struggles to stand up, the advancing gargoyle tramples him with all its weight.

“Gilian! No!”

Craaack!

The sound of bones breaking could be heard as the warrior that was just stepped on spurts blood out from his mouth.

‘That’s going to be a party wipe, no one will survive.’

I had played many MMORPG’s in the past and encountered similar situations. If the frontline crumbles the squishy backline should immediately retreat, otherwise it would result in them all being wiped out.

Neither the priest or mage seemed willing to abandon their party, but to be truthful with the door having closed behind them there wasn’t anywhere to escape to, the result had already been decided.

“Should we intervene, what if they can help us get out of here?”

Asked Gwyn, but I shook my head. Coming to a dungeon they should have been prepared for such an outcome and besides, it wasn’t certain that they could help me get out. But above all, it’s very likely for them to misunderstand the situation if they see a new monster coming out and I didn’t want to deal with such a nuisance.