chapter 58

“ I will only warn you gluttonous Elf slaves this once. Lately there has been a lot of slacking during work, and there are whispers of a rebellion. If such a thing occurs, your punishment would be very severe, I urge you all to heed this warning.”

When the overseer had finished speaking, I approached him with Pirin and informed him of our decision to join the gladiator fights.

“Although I don’t understand why two young weaklings such as yourselves want to be gladiators, I have no choice but to acquiesce because it is the Lord’s will.”

An incredibly large golden termite approached us and led us to the fight the coliseum while being blindfolded.

“Why can’t I be alone? I want to fight by myself!”

“Sorry but the rules state that there must be three people in a team.”

A female knight  with a petite figure and wearing shiny armor was being refused due to not having any teammates. I turned to ask our termite guide.

“Do we also need to be a team of three?”

“For slaves it is possible to register in teams of two.”

“Can we allow her to join us?”

The insect gave me a quick glance before going to inform the lady knight on our behalf. “She has agreed to join your group, so quickly go and register your team before it’s too late. I will wait for you here until you have finished your gladiator fights.”

Leaving the golden termite behind we went up to talk to the female knight.

“Thanks for helping me out guys, I was started to get annoyed.”

“Nice to meet you, my name is Bryonë and this is Pirin.”

“Uh… right, you can call me… Valen.”

The act of hesitating to say her name led us to believe she had given us an alias. Still, it didn’t matter for gladiators and we were just happy do have an extra member, increasing our chance to win the championship.

After finishing the registration Valen came up and told us.

“You only need to hide behind me when the fighting starts because it will get quite messy”

We only actually understood the meaning of her words in the first round.

We were fighting the in the fifth and lowest ranked coliseum which was designated for newcomer fighters and slaves. There weren’t many audience members but the number of contestants was quite high. We were almost 100 gladiators in a decent sized arena.

“There are a surprisingly large amount of Elven gladiators.”

It was just as Pirin had mentioned, many of them had joined for the sake of winning a wish from the King, but for the most part they would fail to secure the championship.

“Do we even have a chance?”

Simply by glancing around I spotted many warriors who seemed stronger than us.

“Worry not little Elves, just stand safely behind me.”

Valen had spoken as she held a small dagger and shield in each hand.

Ding!

The ringing of the bell marked the start of the fight. If you were sent out of the ring, unconscious or willingly surrendered, then you were eliminated. If you could survive for 15 minutes then you moved on to the next round. After two rounds of qualifications the remaining teams would face each other in elimination matches to decide a champion.