higekiri x reader

"So, what's your name again?" Higekiri ignored the overflowing pot of stew in front of him as he questioned the female next to him.

Saniwa was already used to this, since this sword of hers was absolutely horrible with names to the extent of not even remembering his own brother's name. She dodged his question for the time being and hurried over to turn the stove off first.

Gathering some tissues and the kitchen cloth, Saniwa cleaned the stove up frantically, in fear of getting reprimanded by Kasen Kanesada. She ushered Higekiri to stand aside as she cleaned after the mess he had just made.

Higekiri stood aside quietly as his golden eyes watched Saniwa's every move. She wiped the area around the hot stove gingerly, being careful not to touch the hot metal parts as she got rid of the stew he had overspilled.

Once Saniwa was done cleaning up, she got her hands washed and patted her palms dry. Brushing her fringe backwards in distress, she gazed up at Higekiri who still had the pot of cooked stew in his hands.

"Higekiri, what were you making?" She tried to phrase her question as nicely as possible though she was feeling rather annoyed on the inside.

The ones who were usually in charge of the kitchen were either out on dispatch orders or on expedition, leaving the kitchen relatively empty for the past few hours. Saniwa got a culture shock when she smelt something burnt coming from the kitchen below her room. When she left her room to check on the situation, she got a devastating sight of Higekiri attempting to cook a pot of already burnt and overflowing stew.

In whole, he made a pretty big mess at the stove area. Additionally, he made the kitchen area stink of smoke and fuel.

Smiling innocently, Higekiri directed Saniwa's attention towards the pot in his hands. "I thought that you would be hungry, since the cooks won't be back till midnight. Hence, I tried to make seafood stew with the ingredients we had."

You did that for me even though you don't know my name? Saniwa was tempted to raise that question to him but held herself back.

"I appreciate the thought but you aren't experienced in the kitchen, am I right? It would be troublesome if you had burnt the kitchen down or something." Saniwa retrieved the pot from his hands and settled it next to the sink.

Higekiri's expression fell. "I see, I was being a nuisance to you. I sincerely apologise."

His words struck her hard. Those words paired along with that crestfallen look of his, it made Saniwa heavily regret what she had just said. It was insensitive of her to say such things after all, espescially since he had put in the effort to make her something although he did not have the culinary skills to do so.

Searching around the kitchen for a spoon, Saniwa gnawed at her bottom lip in guilt. Once she got hold of a wooden spoon, she took a spoonful of the stew Higekiri had handmade for her, slurping onto it and as she tried to appreciate the flavours in it.

It tasted pretty bad, as the flavourings did not blend in together at all. There was too much salt used to season the stew and part of the dish was already burnt. However, Saniwa forced herself to not to show it on her face and gave the depressed blonde a comforting smile instead.

"It's alright, just tone down on the seasoning next time and remember to cook it over medium heat. Well done, Higekiri. Thank you." She licked her lips and nodded towards him in acknowledgement.

Higekiri's face brightened at her words. "Is that so? I appreciate your words, uh..."

"Just address me as Master or something, you can remember that much right?" Saniwa laughed lightheartedly as she settled her spoon down by the sink.

"Yes, Master." Higekiri bowed, removing the gloves which he had worn earlier while cooking the stew.

Under the gloves revealed Higekiri's pale hands, with his fingers covered in numerous bandaids. Saniwa felt her heart dropped momentarily at the sight of Higekiri's freshly made wounds.

She uttered her words in surprise. "Higekiri, those wounds... Were they made while preparing the stew?"

"Don't mind them, Master. These are nothing compared to the damage I've taken in battles." Higekiri brushed her question off and settled the gloves aside carefully.

Saniwa grasped onto Higekiri's wrist and pulled him closer, observing the bandaids and some other cuts which he had not covered up yet. Higekiri attempted to pull his hand back but Saniwa's firmed grip refused to loosen.

"They still hurt, don't they? Don't move, we have to disinfect these," Saniwa licked onto the healing wounds by his thumb, which Higekiri had not covered up yet,"I hope you don't mind me doing this, we need to disinfect them quickly."

Higekiri flinched as Saniwa's saliva came in contact with his open wounds. Startled by his reaction, Saniwa backed off as her face began to turn red.

"Sorry, did it hurt?" She asked meekly, avoiding eye contact with the sword.

"I'm fine, thank you for your concern," Higekiri assured her, hiding his hands under his jacket,"However, please spare me no worry."

"I'm sorry."

Higekiri smiled to give her reassurance. "Master, it is not your fault."

"It's because of me that you went to such lengths to even injuring yourself. I'm sorry, Higekiri." Saniwa's tone sounded so remorseful, it actually made Higekiri's heart ache a little.

Higekiri was usually a very carefree and easygoing individual who did not bother with anything cumbersome. Although he was an experienced and serious fighter on the battlefield, he still is viewed as a very laid-back sword in the citadel who surprisingly is unable to remember the name of his own brother, Hizamaru even after countless reminders from Hizamaru himself. For him to feel heartbroken was a new experience for him.

"I chose to do it by myself so please don't take any blame for this," Higekiri wriggled his fingers around,"See? I am doing just fine, Master."

"Higekiri, thank you for all your effort." Tugging onto his jacket sleeve, Saniwa muttered a word of gratitude towards him. She held her head low as the guilt she felt from her insensible words earlier still clung onto her chest.

Higekiri had not thought so before but his master was indeed a rather cute girl. After existing for so many years, it was a first for him to find someone else adorable.

The blonde patted her head gently, cooing softly towards his disheartened master. "You're welcome. After all, I'll do anything for my master."

a/n: still hoping that some kbc spawn will give me a drop with higekiri or hizamaru after i defeat it (because both brothers are so rare and tough to get :">) but i still like them a lot despite them trying to play hard to get heheh .-. i ship higekiri x hizamaru more but it's nice to see higekiri x saniwa too so i decided to make a chapter for this ship :) will probably write one for hizamaru in the future so do look forward to it when that time comes!

*ps: i know everyone loves those moments when higekiri forgets hizamaru's name but this doesn't stop their brotherhood from going strong lol

update: got higekiri, finally! 900 all with houchou as leader and mouse ofuda :)

*for requests, message me or leave a comment on the part titled 'contents', ty!*