doudanuki masakuni x reader

Requested by: @TheLazyGaby

"Where's Doudanuki?"

Frantically, Saniwa stormed into the living hall where the swords dispatched from the most recent mission assembled, along with some of the other swords who were welcoming them back from their mission. Doudanuki was one of them, however he was nowhere in sight.

Oodenta Mitsuyo, the leader of that certain dispatch mission answered his master's question immediately. "He went back into his room the moment we arrived."

Saniwa glanced backwards, then back at Oodenta. She pursed her lips tightly for a few seconds before she voiced her next words.

"Did something happen?"

She feared hearing an answer from Oodenta. She really hoped nothing bad or fatal had happened, such as Doudanuki suffering from a severe injury. Her throat became parched and her lips remained dry as she waited for Oodenta to respond.

Looking sideways, Oodenta shrugged. "Physically, nothing happened to him besides a few scratches," he explained. "However, he's in rather low spirits right now."

Saniwa's eyes tried to search for answers as she stared hard into Oodenta's irises before speaking again. "Why so?"

"I don't think I'm in the position to-"

"It's most likely because he felt that he hurt his pride," Sohayanotsurugi interrupted his brother as he joined in the conversation. "Doudanuki is always emphasising on how weapons should be strong instead of looking nice, isn't he? Well, he felt that he himself did not live up to his personal standards of the ideal sword."

Oodenta glared at his brother, his lips curving downwards even more than before. Sohayanotsurugi on the other hand didn't seem to bothered as he continued elaborating on what had happened during their dispatch mission earlier.

"Apparently, he wasn't watching his back and the enemy approached him from behind. He didn't get injured or anything because Kogitsunemaru covered for him but that led to Kogitsunemaru being severely injured. He's in the repairs now though so you need not worry about him, Master," Sohayanotsurugi expounded. "In fact, Doudanuki is the one you should worry about now. His mental state isn't too good."

"You said too much." Oodenta grumbled, placing his hand onto Sohayanotsurugi's shoulder and gripping onto it firmly, causing the latter to moan in pain.

"Thanks, Sohayanotsurugi." Saniwa smiled briefly before jogging away from the living hall, towards the hallways as she made her way towards Doudanuki's room.

As her footsteps thudded against the wooden floor, Saniwa glanced around to make the necessary turns towards Doudanuki's room. As she got nearer to her destination, her footsteps grew significantly softer and slower as she took the last few steps before she stood in front of the door which separated her and Doudanuki.

She took in a long and deep breath, fixing a determined gaze onto the door before mustering the energy to knock her knuckles against it. In a meek voice, Saniwa called out to her beloved sword.

"Doudanuki, it's me. May I enter?"

A low gasp was heard and she knew she that was Doudanuki's voice hitching due to surprise. She assumed he hadn't expected her to look for him so soon and was flabbergasted to know that she was the one to check in on him out of everyone in the citadel.

"Doudanuki?" Saniwa repeated, knocking onto the wooden door once again.

"Yes, you may." Doudanuki's voice sounded depressed and hoarse, mixed in with bits of sorrow. It was unlike Doudanuki to sound like this and it broke Saniwa's heart, metaphorically.

Saniwa nodded in acknowledgement, although she knew Doudanuki couldn't see her. Placing her hand onto the cool metal knob, she twisted it before pushing the door open to enter the room.

Upon entering Doudanuki's room, Saniwa closed the door behind her gently before walking towards Doudanuki's figure, which sat in one of the four corners of the room. His back was placed against the wall and his legs were crossed while he looked up towards Saniwa with a blank expression.

He sighed. "What is it that you need, Master?"

"I heard what happened," she began, walking towards Doudanuki and crouching down in front of him such that their faces were at equal level. "Tell me, why do you feel so down? It was Kogitsunemaru's job as your comrade to look out for you so you need not blame yourself for what happened to him. It was inevitable, nonetheless."

The golden pupils of Doudanuki's widened slightly. He then looked away, refusing to make eye contact with Saniwa.

Puffing her cheeks out in fury, Saniwa held Doudanuki's face in her hands and forced him to look at her. Seriously, she repeated her question, however in a much gentler tone. "Why do you feel so down, Doudanuki?"

"I'm ugly, but I always say that weapons do not need good looks as long as they are strong," Doudanuki choked on his voice as he began giving in to Saniwa and started to talk. "However, I am not even strong now so what good am I? I'm not as beautiful as Mikazuki Munechika or Tsurumaru Kuninaga and I'm not even as strong as swords such as Hotarumaru. I'm not worthy to be in Master's possession..."

"What are you saying?" Saniwa whispered, her eyebrows meeting in disapproval. Pressing her forehead onto Doudanuki's, Saniwa held his gaze as she smiled lightly. "I love every single one of my swords so never think of yourself as unworthy. Also, who says you're ugly? You are rather charming in my eyes, Doudanuki."

Releasing her hold from Doudanuki's face, Saniwa brought her lean arms around Doudanuki's body and pulled his body close to hers. She patted the back of his head as she adjusted his head to rest on her shoulder as she provided him with the comfort he needed to boost his confidence.

A small smile tugged onto Saniwa's lips as she felt Doudanuki hug her back, holding onto her tighter than ever before. Snuggling his head into Saniwa's shoulder, the sword sought solace from his master. Saniwa's words definitely left a lasting impact on him and he would be lying if he said that it didn't make him happy that she said those things to him.

The young female chuckled, ruffling Doudanuki's hair as she tangled his short spikey hair between her fingers. She squeezed Doudanuki before she loosened her hold onto him, prepared to break the hug but Doudanuki still held onto her, unwilling to let go.

"Can I please hold you like this a little longer, Master?" Doudanuki's voice came out as barely a whisper as he breathed into Saniwa's neck, giving her goosebumps.

"Sure." Letting out a soft laugh, Saniwa rewrapped her arms around Doudanuki and rested her head against his, appreciating the warmth of his body as she slowly started to shut her eyes.

a/n: OMG I FINALLY MANAGED TO COMPLETE THIS CHAPTER. im so sorry to keep you all waiting for so long. i dont really have an excuse for taking such a long time besides the fact that i ran out of story ideas... >~< anyway im so glad i finally got this out, i was actually planning to publish it tomorrow instead but i actually managed to complete the draft today so i guess i dont needa drag it on for another day :")

also, i gave oodenta a cameo appearance to celebrate the fact that HE FINALLY CAME HOME YAS LOL. miraculously, he dropped during the current event, now i just gotta pray for ookanehira to do the same *prays to tourabu gods*

crap i have so many things to say today but anyways im sooo excited as i got a hotarumaru and a monoyoshi cosplay. i am dying to get them so that i can try them on hahahahahah. have any of you cosplayed before? if so, any tips? :)

thanks for reading again, hopefully i wont take so long to publish the chapter after this one!

*for requests, message me or leave a comment on the part titled 'contents', ty!*