6. mask

My heart beat quickly as I was dragged away by Bakugo. It could've been because my unfit self-was struggling to keep up with him- or the fact that he was my soulmate and we're supposed to love each other. Probably because he was dragging me. Either way, I found myself turning red and blushing the closer we got to the main group of kids. Heads turned as I got dragged by Bakugo who was dead set on getting as far away as he could from Midoriya.

Again I wondered why he was so set on getting away from the boy. I hadn't seen it but I was told that Midoriya had shown incredible power during the practical exam. Then again I had heard Bakugo mutter several times under his breath that he was a 'quirkless runt'. Confusion settled in.

We arrived in a schoolyard of sorts where dad was standing looking quite bored. I wandered away from Bakugo who was aggressively kicking at the ground. People were staring.     No thanks.

Standing off to the side I pulled out my phone and was about to text Dad something when a shadow fell over me.

"Y/N if I have to talk to you one more time your parents are going to hear about this." I flashed a glare at my smirking father who was having a great time pretending that we weren't related. Family bond I right?

Y/N
Seriously?

Unoriginal Hero Name
I'm taking your phone away.
You aren't paying attention

Y/N
You aren't instructing the class

I shut my phone and walked away from Dad who moved to the front of the crowd and started talking about what we would be doing. I groaned- there was no way this was going to end up good for me.

To put it simply I failed spectacularly on the assessment. What can I say my quirk just isn't suited for the type of things we were doing. Ever so often I would stop wallowing in my own self-pity and embarrassment and look over at Bakugo who was running through the events at a rapid pace. Loud screams and shouts could be heard clearly from him as he angrily tore through each challenge. I felt my questions resurface.

Why was he calling Midoriya a quirkless loser?

He obviously had one although it was quite suspicious that he wasn't using it at this time. I was confused, there was no way he could've gotten into 1 A without one. Besides I had met a few of the students and a large portion of them were raving about the fact that he had defeated the 'final boss' of sorts at the practical exam.

It wasn't until Midoriya got to the ball throwing challenge that my questions surrounding his relationship with Bakugo resurfaced. I stood by Uraraka one of the girls in the class who was looking at Midoriya with a worried expression on her face. Mutters sounded throughout the class...

"If he fails this one he gets expelled." What. What expulsion thing.

"Is Mr. Aizawa serious about the whole expulsion thing?" No, he isn't serious. But what's this about expulsion thing?

"Of course he's not going to win he's fucking Deku." The last comment came from my right where a certain blonde stood. Everything I was thinking until that point froze. Expulsion, relationships, soulmates. None of them mattered. I looked at Bakugo who was oblivious to the fact that everyone in the class had heard that and that the conversation had completely shifted away from Midoriya and onto him.

"What does he have on Midoriya?"

"Do they know each other?"

"That was kind of rude..."

As much as I found myself wanting to get to know Bakugo I found his actions driving me away. The idea that he hated Midoriya because of how apparently useless his quirk was scared me. What did he think of mine? The doubt that had been drifting away about this whole soulmate business was returning. Maybe I couldn't fall in love with someone who slapped me. Maybe I shouldn't burden myself with having to put up with someone who so readily attacked someone based on their quirk. I went home that night with questions still lingering in my mind.

"We're home!" I shouted stepping in the front door to my smiling mother who was standing inside the kitchen doorway. I set my bag down and made my way upstairs barely saying another word besides some brief nonsense about how great my day was. It wasn't.

From the top of the stairs, I looked down at mom and dad who were happily talking in the living room. He was droning on about how horrible the school day was and she was complaining about how boring he was. I felt my mood lighten a bit as I thought about how amazing their relationship was.

Maybe soulmates just get easier to understand with age. That inkling of doubt returned.

Yeah but normal soulmates don't slap you on first encounter.

Maybe you shouldn't be together.

The worst part was that I was beginning to believe that that was true. I felt emotions bubble up inside me. My heart tightened, I enjoyed being around Bakugo. I just couldn't understand him why was he like that to Midoriya? Would he be like that to me?

A text popped up on my screen.

Unknown
Hey, dumbass, your dad gave
Me your number

Y/N
I'm not sure who you are?

Unknown
Your shit soulmate dumbass

Y/N
Oh

Bakugo
Oh? That's all I get? Oh?
I thought that you would care more

Y/N
...

Bakugo
You're coming with me tomorrow

I looked up from my spot on the stairs and saw my Mom standing beside me reading the texts.

"Your Dad told me what happened today," She paused scanning my face for any reaction. I nodded looking down at my hands.

"I'm not sure what to think about him- he's just so different." I sighed in frustration setting my phone down and tossing my head back- nearly knocking it on the stairs. Mom laughed bending down to grab my face.

"I thought the exact same thing. You should give it a try," she searched for the right words- "I mean you should try getting to know him. I'm sure he has reasons." I nodded, I was going to meet him anyway. I wasn't as sure as Mom that things were going to work out.

_______________________________
I had writers block when I wrote this and then was too lazy to do any real editing on it so I'm sorry. Yeah idk where this is going- I wanted this story to be really fluffy but it's not. Just one or two more chapters of confusion and then the fluff bear with me.

-Ai