16. murk

I drifted through the rest of the day on autopilot. One event fading into the next as my mind raced, my heart pulsed. I struggled to eat my food and pushed it around earning the attention of my parents who eyed my plate.

"Are you ok honey?" Mom leaned toward me studying my expression. I nodded stiffly standing up and clearing my spot.

"I'm going to go to sleep," I muttered running upstairs.

"Their tattoos had disappeared."

The boy and the girl in the story had soulmate tattoos. I frowned after Bakugo had slapped me my mark disappeared. It was normal. Everyone who found their soulmates through marks found that they disappeared upon contact. How would I know that our bond was fading? Would my mark return?

Why now? Why did this come up now? Everything had been so perfect a day ago. We were happy. I didn't have doubts. But now it was all could think about.

I fell asleep thoughts whirling through my mind.

"Bakugo!" I called out to the boy who was walking across the street. He turned toward me stopping and waiting for me to catch up.

"What do you want?" He asked starting to walk again. I rushed to keep up with his long strides my mind racing. What do I want? Oh, right I need to talk to him about our bond. For some reason, this serious matter seemed distant and unimportant.

"I was just wondering if you wanted to hang out." I offered pulling up my phone, there's a nice arcade nearby if you want. He shrugged but pulled up google maps anyway. I smiled linking my arm through his pulling him closer to me.

This doesn't feel right.

"Let's stop and eat something first." He demanded pulling me toward a small cafe away from the busy streets. It was quiet, a few people sat at tables that were scattered around the room. Bakugo walked up to the counter ordering a drink, I hurried up after him.

"What did you get?" I asked when we had settled at a table. He took a long drink frowning.

"F/D why?" He muttered.

"I thought you hated it?" I asked. He was so passionate about this drink the other day why was he suddenly drinking it without care. He was being so nice. So perfect. The ideal Bakugo.

"Whatever let's go to that arcade." He offered me a hand and we walked out of the cafe.

Since when was he this compliant?

We spent hours at the arcade, laughing, having fun, being dumb. It was perfect.

The sun was setting and we were walking back home. I was still smiling it seemed stupid to still have doubts on our bond but I still had to make sure.

"Hey, Bakugo?" He grunted in response, "You love me right? Our bond as soulmates is strong right?"I laughed a little bit.

Silence. Nothing but silence.

"Bakugo?" I raised my head and looked at his face, he stared blankly at the sky.

"I'm sorry." I felt myself grow sick.

"But today you..." Large tears rolled down my face. How could he not love me? I loved him!

"Today I what?" His head shot towards me anger in his eyes. "Leave me alone."

I crumpled to the ground emptiness consuming me. I watched as he walked away, hunched over in agony pain shot through me. He was fine. He walked unburdened.

Why was it only me who was suffering?

Its because you still love him.

I shot awake tears trailing down my face. It was just a dream.

My heart rate slowed. My alarm blared I ignored it I was too caught up in my dream to bother.

Was this a sign?

My nervousness of confronting Bakugo later today about my worries grew even stronger. What if he really didn't like me? I felt attraction toward him. Did he feel the same toward me?

"GET UP!" Dad shouted from downstairs. I rolled out of bed shuffling toward the door.

"HANG ON A MINUTE!" My voice was hoarse.

Somehow I had managed to ignore my nervousness while I got ready, but now that I was walking to the train it all returned. I pulled out my phone starting to type out a message.

Y/N
Hey Dad?

Unoriginal Hero Name
What do you want?

Y/N
I don't want to go
to school

That was true I felt choked up, sick, weak. Maybe this was a symptom Monoma did say that they started becoming sickly.

Unoriginal Hero Name
Do you really hate me that
much? 

Y/N
y e s

A lie. I rounded the corner to the platform and immediately latched onto Bakugo who was standing on the far end.

"Y/N!" He barked making his way toward me, I froze as he stalked over his eyes flashing with irritation.

What did I do?

"You're late." He muttered stopping where I stood. The tension dispersed I felt myself let out a small laugh.

"You were seriously frustrated over that?" I asked dumbfounded. Bakugo was a ridiculous person.

"What about it?" He grumbled shoving his hands into his pockets.

"You looked like I killed someone." I shrugged tugging on the sleeves of my uniform. A moment passed, "Thank you for worrying about me."

"That's what I'm supposed to do right?"

For a moment all my worries disappear and I smiled at him.

"Yeah."

After school, I walked home with Bakugo. I had briefly seen Monoma during the day who had shot me a meaningful look that I ignored.

Stop wasting time you need to confront him.

Bakugo was asking my opinion I distractedly agreed with whatever he was saying.

I was reminded of my dream. The horrible feeling I felt during it. I hesitated falling behind Bakugo a bit.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Bakugo asked breaking me out of my thoughts.

"It's nothing."

It's not nothing

"Bullshit"

"It's really nothing!" I pushed him away in a sudden outburst.

"You just agreed to be called dumbass." He said flatly. "There's something bothering you. If you need to vent go ahead." I felt something inside me break tears flowed down my face in an unstoppable flood of emotion.

My eyes refused to move away from the ground I was terrified to look up and meet the same disgust that I saw in my dream.

"Hey, do you love me?"

"What kind of dumb question is that-"

"I'm sorry." I pushed myself off of him and started to walk away.

I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry

"You didn't let me finish dumbass." I was pulled back into his embrace tears streaming down my face soaking into his uniform.

"That's a horrible nickname." I choked out my tears of relief still flowing freely.

_____________________________
NO MORE OF THAT FOR AWHIEKEQJWJDI

wow im tired

I changed my username bc i really like jellyfish.

Goodnight

-Ai