✔ Chapter 5

***

***

I like the taste of my coffee. The liquid burns in my throat 'cause it is so hot. Sitting on a bar stool in the dining room I stare out of the window watching the leaves fall.

The leaves are dried. They have detached themselves from the branches if the trees. They are lonely, lifeless and wandering floating around with the air.

I check my phone for any new notifications but my eyes wander towards the clock on the phone. Another hour that passed by. Six o'clock. Time passes by so quickly, doesn't it?

I haven't heard from Xavier since last night. I wonder if he is okay. When I am drowned in my own thoughts Hayden walks down the stairs groggily rubbing his eyes.

He smiles when he see me which I offer without a doubt. He comes towards me and kisses my forehead and ruffles my hair. I give him a tight hug.

It's been a month since they left and now they were back. I was relieved and happy.

"How did you sleep, Katrina?" He asks me. He makes his way to the kitchen and starts gathering the ingredients for making pancakes.

Pancakes at six in the morning? I don't think that is a good idea. Who cares?

"Fine," I say because I don't know what to reply. Hayden and Amelia don't know that I have insomnia neither does Abigail. I don't want to involve people in my problems. They already have done too much for me, except of Abigail.....she hasn't done anything but make my life miserable.

After my family was torn apart like a piece of paper Hayden and Amelia decided to take me in. They were newly married that time. When they were taking me Abigail came from her dance practice and was shocked to see the sight in front of her.

Hayden and Amelia had no room for another kid because they wanted one of their own but with Abigail crying on the porch of our house they took her too. They haven't had a kid ever since they but I do know that they want one of their own.

They were very selfless to take two kids. It happened 4 years ago. When my sanity was taken away. When everything that I loved was snatched away for me. It was too much for a 14 year old to bear.

But still there is only one thing that makes me feel alive again. That makes my heart beat and blood pump. That gives life altogether a new meaning. That gives me the goosebumps. The one thing that my father trained me for.

Racing.

That is why I like staying out of attention because of I don't then the students would somehow find out about me racing on the tracks which is not good.

My thoughts are interrupted by the delicious smell of pancakes with nutella.

I grin widely as o say to Hayden, "Thanks." after which I dig in.

He nods at me and sits down with his breakfast and starts eating porched eggs.

"So why did you sneak out last night?"

"I didn't sneak out," I lie knowing that he is a detective and he will catch my lie.

"Yes, I totally believe you," he says his voice dripping with sarcasm.

When I don't answer he once again asks me the same question.

I have no choice but to answer the truth because he knows how to read body language extremely well. In fact he is the one who taught me to figure out what people hide.

"I went to eat ice cream,"

"Then why is there an open box of ice cream in the fridge," he says as he raises his eyebrows.

"Correction, a friend of mine wanted to eat ice cream and took me with them,"

"'Them' as in many?"

"No, 'them' as in I don't want to disclose their gender," I reply and go back to eating heaven...err... pancakes I mean.

After I am done I get in the shower and clean myself. I wonder if today is going to be any different.

Xavier and I had ice cream that makes us friends, right?

But most importantly why did he not speak to me afterwards the ice cream?

Xavier is a mystery that I am determined to solve.

***

Katrina's Car above. A Lamborghini Aventador white in colour.

Also this is a pure work of fiction so anything that happens ahead is neither stated in Google (Not some of it) nor is mentioned in any type of mythology.

It is purely made up by me.

Lol. 😂

 😂