Chapter 23

* * *

* * *

He glares at me.

I look at him.

I offer him a small smile.

His expression doesn't change.

My smile falters.

He is monotonous.

"I am sorry, Xavier. Let me in, now." I finally say sacrificing my ego.

A satisfactory smirk takes on his neutral face. He moves towards the side and let's me in, removing a sigh from my lips in the process.

"So why are you late?" he questions me.

"I slept, accidentally." Is all I reply.

I remove my shoes and I am tempted to throw them at him when he says, "Can figure out by your hair, love."

"Shut up!"

"Has anyone ever told you that you're super annoying, love."

"At least I don't look like the human version of a trash-bag!"

"You're blind, love, if you think this," he says gesturing to his body, "This is a trash-bag."

"Puh-lease, you literally look like the human version of herpes." I say rolling my eyes.

"Can we gets started on the project."

"Yeah!" I say enthusiastically.

"Let's go to my room."

"Aren't your parents home?" I ask out of curiousity.

"They don't live with me, they live somewhere else," he says climbing up the stairs and I follow him.

The light of his bedroom is switched off and for only a moment I wonder if he likes the dark, just like me.

Does he find peace in the dark, or does he hate it?

I love darkness. I don't know why but I always have loved it. There's something so satisfying about it. There's something about the feeling that you do not know where you are. Do not know what you're surroundings are and cannot see the colour of object. You only see them as they truly are.

There's something about the dark, cold, quiet, unknown that I can't grasp yet and perhaps will never be able too. Something terrifying yet beautiful.

I don't come to notice that I have stopped in the middle of the staircase and Xavier is staring at me. Like he has finally figured me out. But the truth is, he never will be able to.

I still don't know who I am, and in search for answers I have done everything that was possible, yet I got none.

I regain my composure snapping him out of his trance, and he enters his room. Not making a sound, I move upwards.