✔ Chapter 39

* * *

* * *

Carmelliana Elinor Montez.

The loving daughter of Blake and Madison Montez and the one and only sister of Abigail Rosalind Montez.

The definition of perfect who had everything a anyone would have ever wanted. Her copper brown hair made people look her way and her fierce maroon eyes made heads turn away as well as fall in love. Her long manicured fingered nails made boys fall for her, not because they were done perfectly but because she wasn't afraid to break them.

She never cowered in fear her style made girls jealous. Every boy wanted to be with her and every girl wanted to be her. She played basketball and football. She was a proud gamer and she got good grades.

I stare at that girl who I buried in my own skin.

I stand in front of the full length mirror and just now, I am noticing the difference between my past self and me. Carmelliana and Katrina.

Both of them, beautiful in their own ways but the former winded up dead with her parents and the girl who came out was not her. That was the moment everything got snatched away from me. My house, my parents, my happiness and myself.

I remember that day so clearly when I was so damn angry that I didn't even think twice before doing something that shouldn't have been done.

Ever since that day, I couldn't sleep properly, not that I did before anyways. I slowly turn away from the mirror and as I do, I notice something fallen at the edge of the hinge of the door. As I move forward my side bangs falls in front of my eye and I kneel down.

A key.

Two words to know that the process has started and that only a week is left. Seven days. The key, however, is different in shape from the others. It's head has a skull attached to it with some fancy design around it and it takes me a moment to figure out that the key belongs to Hecate, the goddess of witchcraft and ghosts. It's ash-grey colour makes me believe that it had been burnt before.

Someone was here.

And I think I know who that 'someone' is.

The Elementae's. Like I said, thousands of people are trying their best not to die, to live another day, but the Society has no place for outcasts. So they kill them. Our world looks so peaceful, like it has no trouble dawned on it but if you look closer, you'll see that discord is on it's way and there is no one to stop it.

Our world looks perfect but it is all just an illusion. If you listen closely, you hear the voices of the dead engraved into the walls telling you stories. Stories about what happened to them and how exactly they died.

With each mishap that happens they erase our memories with the E.M.S better known as Erasing Memory Serum. The serum is injected into tablets that are multi-coloured like the flag of France. Blue, white and red.

The Blue part makes you forget what happened, the white part restores your memory so you don't forget what happened before the incident as in your significant memories and because the tablets have a bad effect on your health the red saves you from not dying.

The blue alone can wipe out your entire memory, the white can kill you and the red can heal you. The tablet is further broken down into pieces and then mixed in the water that we drink and food that we eat.

The tablets have an expiration date and they don't work on a person more than once for the same reason as in if there is a fire in a grocery store caused due to instability in our environment then the tablets will be released and the person won't consume the tablet more than once unless the Society decides that you are not worthy of living.

Each realm is given a daily supply of ten thousand million tablets and we have no idea if they use it or they store it. The Society doesn't want us to know of how much broken and imperfect the world is, so they create an illusion.

The ones who shift to another realms are purposefully given these tablets if they don't posses the traits of the respective realms the belong to.

Werewolves are transferred to another realm with the consent of their government if the being is not a werewolf and do not have any quirk that wolves do have, then they are given the tablets. This could happen between any two realms.

So they forget where they came from and settle in the human realm. Conceivably one of the reasons that Atlantis is drowning.

Atlantis, even though under water is protected by layers of atmosphere just like earth is, and now because of the disasters that the Society wants us to forget, the atmosphere is depleting and water is entering making the people of Atlantis die, quick and faster than they could have ever died above.

Pathetic, if you asks me.

The Society controls each and every aspect of our lives without us knowing.

Then, there are people like me, who are immune to the tablets but of course the government doesn't know that. I don't forget my memories if I consume the blue part or the white doesn't kill me and unfortunately, the red can't heal me either.

I am cursed as I can not forget the most horrid parts of my life that I dreadfully want to forget.

I can't forget only because I have a purpose other than inspecting tablets in our Society.

I am created for another reason and that is a reason that I am not even ready to think about.

I put the key in my necklace along with the cuboid pendant and exit the bathroom coming in face with familiar four walls and a bed.

Society wants you to forget but if they want you to remember, then you will by any means.

And so I have to.

Carmelliana wants to forget and Katrina wants to remember, perhaps the biggest difference in both.

Two sides of a coin, two sides of a person.

The day I turned thirteen and everyday onwards is what I want to forget.

My neck feels heavy and I want to drink my sorrows today, I want to drown in my own thoughts, but I can't because I have no idea when he will strike.

So many problems on my head, so much burden and to think that I have the time to like someone, to date someone.

I don't care and I don't know what the future holds for me but what I do know is that my story won't end like this.

It won't end with a broken girl who could fix anything, it will end with the life of a hero whose story will be worth remembering.

This is my story and I will be the only one who decides how it ends.

Even if I die, I want people to know that Carmelliana was a girl, a strong girl who had two sides, who listened to the dead closely.

That is the only way one can survive : Listen to the dead as they speak and do not make the same mistake as they did.

* * *

A/N : Mind blown, eh?

I told you and I am telling you again, buckle up, this story is about to get a hell lot more interesting.

Leave your comments down for this chapter and vote of you liked it, because I think this is by far the best chapter I have ever written apart from the well.....climax scene where the whole plot gets twisted.

*insert evil laugh*

Vote if you liked this chapter and don't forget to share it with your friends.

To all those people who thought that this was a CLICHÈ BOOK.

Love,

~Mehek.