Chapter 24

* * *

* * *

The ground breaks.

The ground breaks and I get on my bike going towards the other side scared out of my mind.

I have no idea where I am going and it is dark. The sun is going to rise in the next thirty minutes.

I came out here in the forest to have a good time after I won today's race which made me go to the semi-finals. I would be lying if I said that the race was easy.

But now stranded in the middle of the forest with the ground breaking right behind you isn't exactly what you would picture when I said the word 'relaxing' right?

I change the gear and speed up. When I say the ground breaking I don't mean cracks. That would still be bearable. But what is happening right now, is something that I can't word.

The ground is gathering and creating a void that ends I don't know where. It's a hole in the earth. My brown locks get stuck to my lips as I ride my bike due to the lip gloss.

I look behind frantically, I don't want to die. Not just yet. I want to live more. I haven't even lived my life. I was too busy grieving.

Stop, now is not the time to be thinking about that.

I increase my speed once again, and the ground shakes more violently than before making my bike stumble a bit. I regain my balance so that I do not fall.

My bike reaches its top speed but the shattering of the earth does not seem to slow down for some reason. If only it increases. I look ahead and I see a cliff.

Dammit! I should have known that if I climb the hill, I will have to go down as well. There has to be another way. I look back to see not even one rock left on the ground from where I came.

The ground keeps on shaking and so does my bike drifting off to the left.

The trees that I passed now sink in the void and so does the mud below me. The ground behind me shatters into pieces and I loose my balance from all the panicking and I fall.

My bike skits ahead and I fall. My knee gets scraped, my elbow has a rock inserted in it and I am lying on the ground waiting for death to accept me and the ground to swallow me.

My head on my right shoulder I lie on the ground a dreadful pain shooting up my head, shoulder, torso and my ankle.

It freaking hurts like hell.

The ground stop breaking and I lie on the edge of the ground where small cracks can be seen. My bike lays away from me.

That too, is on the edge of the cliff.

I can't get up.

My duffel bag was long gone in the hole and I would be too if the shaking and breaking of the ground didn't stop.

I sit properly my legs stretched and I reach to touch my head. Droplets of blood appear on my head and soon my whole hand is covered in a deep, thick like red fluid.

Blood. My blood.

A sharp pain shoots though my leg when I try to straighten it and I scream. I scream so loud that my voice can be heard throughout the forest.

I search my pocket for my phone in order to call someone. I can't drive back to my house looking like this. Covered in my blood. I can't drive.

I crawl towards my bike to make sure it is okay when the ground shakes again and where I lay once, that piece of ground is now gone too.

I lay beside my bike having my hopes high that the wound would stop hurting so badly. But it doesn't.

I dial Nathan's phone number and call him. It takes three rings for him to pick up the phone. I have to. I have no the choice.

"Congrats on the win, K!" the voice on the other side exclaims.

"I....need....h-h-help," I say taking deep breaths in between words.

"Katrina, what's wrong? Where are you?" he says, his voice full of concern.

"I...don't....know. I am....in a forest. You can't come here.....the ground is broken," I say.

My eyes are getting drowsy.

They are fluttering close.

"I am coming," he says, "And do me a favor Katrina, stay alive."

That is the last thing I hear from him when the line goes dead.

I lay there for god knows how many minutes and the sun starts to rise. It starts to rise, but no birds chirping can be heard.

The sun rises and I see the view. It is enthralling. Totally captured by the scenery I don't notice that there is a helicopter soaring through the sky.

Wait....A helicopter.

Are kidding me right now?

The helicopter lands next to my bike and I totally destroying my hair. Nathan comes down from the helicopter and lifts me up bridal-style.

He smiles at me but I am too tired to return it.

Once ensuring that I am safe, he gets my bike on board. I lean back against the wall, my whole body aching with pain.

The helicopter takes off and the pilot I assume says, "I didn't know you were CRL."

I look at him, and I see Ashton sitting there. "You're a pilot?"

That is all I can manage to say. He grins and says, "If you can be the best racer in town then I surely can be a pilot."

My lips tug upwards at that and no one makes an attempt to converse again.

A scream escapes my lips as a soothing liquid touches the wound on my ankle and I scream so hard that Ashton flinches causing the helicopter to act like a drunk man.

"Sorry," Ashton apologizes.

I nod my head and look over to Nathan who is treating my scars.

"Nathan can....I...not go to my house tonight. I don't want Hayden and Amelia to....see me...like this," I manage to get out.

Nathan looks at Ashton for confirmation and the latter nods making a sigh of relief come out of my mouth.

Nathan sits back and so do I. My eyes feel heavy. I can sleep now. I have Nathan and Ashton to take care of me now. I am safe, now.

The thing that I witnessed surely wasn't an earthquake. It was a sign. A sign to show that the game that was left ages ago is now to be resumed.

That is probably the last thing I think before my mind carries me to a place I have never been before.

* * *