Chapter 4: Bolts

I stepped into the passenger's side of Deputy Lance's car, and sat down as he climbed into the driver's seat. The car is a smooth black, but otherwise not lowkey.

"Jesus Christ. I'm sorry, Charlotte. I wasn't expecting him to react like that. You okay?"

"Yes...I'm still processing it, however."

"What are you doing? Reporting it to Cyberlife or something?" Deputy Lance asked.

"No."

If I did, I don't think they would reset Conmor, but he might get chastised. Or...reset. I don't know anymore.

Stop. I need to stop analyzing that. It doesn't matter. I'm just a machine. That's all I am. An interruption is just a delay. It's not forever.

"You said before that you're less prone to deviancy. How?" Deputy Lance asked.

"I have a biocomponent, #6302S. It acts as an addition AI program to regulate my own," I explained.

"So...there's two Charlottes inside of you?"

"No. That would be like saying you're two Deputy Lances just because you had a knee replacement."

"Oh c'mon. Don't make me sound that old. I'm only 34."

"I'm only giving an example, Deputy."

"I know," he said quietly. "Fuckin machines."

Analyzing...

This vehicle is a Audi TT Quattro.

"Deputy, this a very nice car," I stated. I'm not lying. The car is well maintained despite being vintage. It also fits the Deputy's personality. He's relatively all over the place, as is the car. It's small, which fits him. He seems to be a bit of a minimalist. It is also decked out with various equipment, for a classier feel, which is not minimalistic but still matches the Deputy's personality.

"Oh. Thanks. It's a 2004. My dad bought it the day I was born."

How interesting. Deputy Lance is finally telling me about his past. I should be careful not to pry too much.

"So, Deputy, do you spend a lot of time with you niece?"

"A ton," he answered. "She's precious."

He must really love his niece. Interesting.

"You know," Deputy Lance began. "You can just call me Lance."

"I understand. I will call you Lance."

"Or...y'know. Don't. Your choice."

Why does he keep telling me to make choices?

"Okay, Lance."

I suppose Lance is faster...and will save time. So therefore it's more efficient? In due time, we arrived at the den. I got out of the car and began to enter the building, when Lance stopped me.

"C'mon, bolts. You can't go in first," he told me. I paused and let him go in first.

"Stay on the ready, Charlotte. Remain ready to fire."

"Ready to fire?" I asked.

"Only if I tell you, okay?" He answered.

"Of course," I responded.

"And follow my lead

We walked into the den, and immediately saw mattresses and sleeping bags with at least 12 people across the room. Of them, 6 were passed out, and 3 were high out of their minds. Of the 4 semi-aware ones, 2 were talking together, and the other 2 were suffering withdrawal.

"Uh..." Lance began. He started to shake his hands, and even rub them together like he was cold. He head over to the two who were talking, a man and a woman."Do you uh...do you have a fix for me and my girl?"

"You want us to bum you a fix?" The man asked angrily. "Fuck you! This isn't a charity."

I decided to copy Lance's behavior. I made myself shake, and wander over to the couple. "Please...I'm going to...I'm going to vomit," I said shaking, and doubling over.

"Jeez. C'mon, Lou. Don't be stingy. Just give em a hit," the woman begged.

"Fine. You're lucky my girl is here. I would've popped a cap in you if she weren't so damn generous."

The man handed a packet of red ice to Lance, who shook as he took it and slid over to the corner of the room, without even standing up. I followed him over.

"Th-thanks," Lance told them.

"Yeah, yeah," the guy said. Lance scooped his legs up, and took the pipe laying on the ground close to himself. He then handed me to the packet, and I took my fingers in it.

"Jesus Christ. Do you have to eat it?" Lance whispered.

"Yes, Lance," I answered. I placed the bit of red ice on my tongue.

Analyzing...

Red ice. 57% purity, with a major component of Xanax. Traces of bleach, and heroin. Location of origin: Detroit's Red Light District.

"Okay. I've got it," I told Lance.

"Well...we've got to wait it out," he said. "At least until that couple falls asleep or gets high."

"Okay."

"I'm just kidding. This place is a shithole. Let's get out of here," he announced. He jumped up and handed the packet back to the guy. "Sorry, I've got to get to dinner with my mom."

The guy shrugged angrily. "What the fuck?"

"Sorry. We didn't even use any," Lance told him.

"Just get the fuck out of here," the guy told us. We left, and headed back to the car.

"So...I don't think we attracted too much attention," Lance answered. "Now, we'll go to the dealer, and then head to the nightclub. I think we can hit both. Hopefully, we won't run into any of these folks."

"Okay. You're quite hardworking, Deputy," I answered.

"Well, I haven't gotten tired yet," he replied, winking.