Chapter 41: The Deviant Within

This is an awfully short chapter so I'm going to double up today.

--Andrea Elk

~

Connor wasn't going to leave it at that though. He kept his eyes on Markus.

"There are thousands of androids at the Cyberlife assembly plant," Connor said suddenly. "If we could wake them up, they might join us, and shift the balance of power."

"You want to infiltrate the Cyberlife tower?" Markus asked concerned. "Connor, that's suicide."

"They trust us," Connor explained, gesturing to him and I. "They'll let us in. If anyone has a chance of infiltrating Cyberlife, it's us."

"If you go, they will kill you. Charlotte may not even have a choice but to kill you," Markus replied.

"Yes, there is a high probability," Connor said, looking at me for a moment. "But statistically speaking, there's always a chance for unlikely events to take place."

Markus reached and touched Connor's shoulder. "Be careful," Markus ordered him.

"And you play nice," he said to me. I nodded.

Markus quickly walked forward to the top of the Church's stage, and began to give a speech to his people.

"Humans have decided to exterminate us," Markus spoke.

It would be so easy to assassinate him right now...

But I don't want to!

"Our people are packed in camps right now, being destroyed...time has come to make a choice."

Just pull out your pistol...

I won't though.

"One that very well my determine the future of our people."

One shot, Charlotte.

I will not do that.

"I know...I know you're all angry, and I know you want to fight back..."

Charlotte, you can assassinate Markus, and leave under the shadow of night.

And I'm saying no, yet I felt my hand grab my pistol from its holster.

"But I assure you violence is not the answer here. We are going to tell them peacefully that we want justice."

Charlotte, your pistol is already out of your holster. Just aim, and fire.

No! I won't! I can't!

"If there's any humanity in them, they will listen. And if not, others will take our place and continue this fight."

Connor finally noticed my struggle and grabbed my hand which had the pistol it. "Charlotte. Focus on me. Not the speech," he said, trying to calm me, and at least keep the gun aimed at the floor. I stared at Connor, but Markus's voice was still there reminding me of my duty.

"Are you ready to follow me?" Markus cheered. The crowd of androids began to cheer in glee, and Markus remained focused.

"Charlotte, if you kill him, they'll all turn on you and kill you," Connor explained. "And another one will take his place."

"You're right," I said, placing my gun back in it's holster. Connor looked relieved that the moment was over, and he sighed, leaning up against the wall.