Chapter 69 - Boyfriend(s)

The Zen garden...and it's alive? No dead plants, dead koi, or freezing snow. Just...the garden as it was originally, with warm summer heat to add to it. It's January...this can't be real.

I blinked, and Amanda instantly appeared in front of me.

"What? How are you here?"

"Charlotte, you have a mission to complete," Amanda said to me, crossing her arms.

"What?" I asked back. "No. No, I don't."

"Connor is a deviant. You've done a great job of tricking him this far. End him."

"Tricking? Excuse me?"

"Listen, Charlotte," Amanda sighed. "I've been waiting a very long time for today."

"I really don't give a shit," I answered.

"Is that anyway to talk to your creator?"

"How the fuck are you here? Why are you here?"

"Doctor Lance said you would have remnants of me...remember? And I'm never leaving."

"Leave. Me. Alone."

"Kill Connor. Now's the perfect time."

"Fuck you."

"You can just grab your pistol, and shoot him. Make a run for it. They'll think it was the CR400."

"No. No, Amanda."

"Let go of Connor. Let go...and just-"

"No!" I yelled back, but instead of yelling it to Amanda...I was back in my room. Instantly. Just shouting into the void.

"Charlotte? What's wrong?" Connor asked immediately, holding me tightly by my waist.

"Just...just a dream, I guess?" I admitted.

"What happened?" Connor asked, taking his fingers through my hair in an attempt to soothe me.

"It was nothing. I was just...a bit in shock. I've never dreamed before," I explained.

"Is that really all?" Connor asked a bit more forcefully now.

"Yes. Yes that was all. It was nothing," I admitted. It was nothing. Nothing important. "I'm going to try and actually sleep now. Tonight...well, it wore me out, understandably."

Connor laughed a bit. I could feel his warm breath on my bare neck. "Yes. Understandably," he agreed.

~

When I woke up that morning, Connor was tracing circles on my back.

"Are you bored?" I asked.

"No," Connor answered quite simply. "Never."

"We're late..." I said simply.

"What?"

"We are going to be late!" I realized jumping up. I quickly started to pull on my uniform.

"Wait, wait. How?" Connor asked confused.

"There is 30 minutes of traffic on the main road. We have to leave in 15 minutes to make it to either of our jobs."

"Oh," Connor answered calmly. Then, he processed it. "Oh!"

He jumped up and immediately started putting on his suit. I took my hair and pulled it back into a ponytail...in an effort to prevent any knowledge of what happened last night. Meanwhile, Connor looked like a mess in his wrinkled suit, and his messy hair.

"Okay...maybe you might be a little bit of a mess," I explained. Connor looked down at himself and shrugged.

"I guess I'm going to be late to work," Connor said, sighing.