Chapter 37: Undercover...Without Lance

Turning around, there was Gavin. He had his gun aimed at Connor.

"Don't do this, Gavin. I know how to stop the deviants," Connor answered.

"It's two versus one. There's no way you make it out of this," I said, rationalizing for him.

"You two are off the case...and now...it's going to be definitive," He said. He fired immediately, but thankfully, Connor ducked. I ran for cover under the desk, and Connor followed. Gavin raced around the Connor to fire at Connor again, but he missed, and thankfully, now he was too preoccupied with Connor. I ran from behind the desk, and took the back of Gavin. Now, he was fighting on two fronts, and when Connor was able to push him back, I was able to turn him around and get him to focus on me. Connor took Gavin and managed to pin him and knock him out before he could get another shot off.

"You're much better at combat," I responded. Connor fixed his tie, which had loosened during the fight, and looked at me.

"True. I'm unsure of what to do next though. We need to get to Jericho, but I can't just walk in there."

"We need to go undercover," I responded. "I've learned a lot from the Deputy. We have to hurry though. There are clothes in the locker rooms."

This time, I took his hand, and pulled him up the stairs, and to the back of the station near the bathrooms where the locker rooms were. I walked into the ladies, while he walked into the men's. I went to the same locker, only to see a completely different outfit than before. I suppose it made more sense though considering how much colder it is. I changed into a pair of jeans, a white long sleeved shirt, with a black trench coat over it. I pulled on a pair of black combat boots, and put on the white scarf. I walked out, just as Connor was as well, and saw him in a black sweater with jeans. He looked at me.

"You seem very different."

"You seem very the same," I answered. "You still need a few more touches." I walked over to the Deputy's desk, remembering that he left out in such a rush that he left his leather jacket. I handed it over to Connor, and as he was putting it on, he found his beanie in the sleeve.

"Put it on," I told him, and he did so. "Now, you seem different."

"Let's go," Connor said. We walked out of the station with time to spare. "The bus will stop by the station in 3 minutes. Then it's a 17 minute ride to Ferndale."

Connor led me down the street to the station, where we waited as the snow got worse. The bus was delayed by a few minutes, and we were impatient as we boarded. Connor updated Cyberlife as to the deviant location while we were on the bus, and then we sat in silence for a few minutes.

"Do you still promise to find me?" I asked. Connor turned to me, confused for a moment.

"Of course. If we get separated, I won't stop searching for you. Even if we end up deactivated, I want to be with you. I can trust you," Connor answered.

"I'll search for you too. I promise," I responded. Connor nodded. "Isn't this a bit odd?"

"Yes. It's a bit odd," Connor answered, knowing that I was referring to our arrangement. "I'm glad it's happening though."

"That's a good way to think about it," I answered. We arrived at Ferndale, and walked about half a mile from the bus stop until we started seeing signs.

"This is how we get to Jericho. We have to follow these signs," Connor explained. After a bit of strenuous climbing, and having to help each other until we arrived at a jump that would allow us to climb upon a ship. I turned to Connor.

"We're here," Connor said calmly. "This is Jericho."

Connor took my hand, and we both knew what to do. On the count of three.

One...

Two...

Three...