Chapter 24: Deputy Lance's Problem

Meh. I want to speed up things for a while before I go to university, so there's going to be some two chapter days every once in a while...like today.

~

Connor. Connor. Service Elevator, top floor. Yes, okay. The moment the elevator doors open I pushed past everyone and updated as I did so.

Updating...

Kitchen. He's in the kitchen. I raced to the kitchen where I saw a terrifying scene. Connor was near doubled over, with his hand stabbed into the table, and he was suffocating as he tried to kick over a chair to make noise, and warn someone. He's going to shut down.

"Connor!" I yelled as I raced over to him. I took the knife out of his hand and I looked around the area for the biocomponent.

"Here it is. It's okay. I've got you...I've got you," I said as I grabbed it. I took the blue blood covered biocomponent and placed it back in his chest.

"Are you alright?" I asked him, touching his shoulder.

"The deviant! There's a deviant!" He said immediately running off. I chased him into the corridor where he immediately grabbed a gun and shot the deviant. He looked disappointed.

"I wanted it alive," He said simply.

"You saved human lives, Connor. You saved my life," Lieutenant Anderson responded.

I am...frankly...dumbfounded. I didn't know a machine could be surprised. We can calculated trillions of scenarios in miliseconds, and yet I'm surprised. That seems...irrational. I can't afford to be irrational. It creates errors within my computing. Missing...bits. Coding errors. Mistakes. Emotions. Deviancy. All of it. 

I certainly can't have that. Deputy Lance arrived as the elevator opened up. The elevator directly faced Connor, Lieutenant Anderson, and I, and therefor was directly in front of the dead deviant. The body slumped into the elevator, and Lance jumped back. The elevator doors tried to close, but hit the deviants dead body. 

It was...incredibly macabre. Lance just stared. "Why me? Dear God, why me?" Lance asked. The various SWAT members placed an evidence number next to the body. 

"Sure! That helps!" Lance announced sarcastically. He jumped over the body casually, and stared at it.

"Literally, fuck this job," Nick said, turning to Lieutenant Anderson. Anderson, overwhelmed with the emotions of the situation leaned against the wall, as Lance walked into the broadcasting room and sat down. He pressed his hands into his head.

I need to check on both Connor and Lance. I walked over to Connor, and tried to fix his shirt.

"Not to be rude, Charlotte, but it's sort of a lost cause."

"Well...besides for that...you've been pretty roughed up. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," he responded, harshly.

"Connor, you almost shut down," I reminded him.

"I would've found a way not to," he answered aggressively. He then suddenly checked himself.

"I'm sorry. I'm being...rude. I'm completely ignoring that you...you prevented my interruption. How did you even know?" He asked.

"I think humans would call it a gut feeling," I answered, smirking.

Connor smiled a bit. "Go take care of Deputy Lance. He seems very upset."

"Okay, Connor," I responded. I could hear Connor walk towards Lieutenant Anderson.

"I think we're done here, Lieutenant," he said.

I approached the Deputy who was, yes, incredibly upset. He had hid his face into his hands, and was practically cradling himself. "Nick?" I asked.

"Can...can you just leave me alone, Charlotte?" He asked.

"But Deputy-"

"But what? Just...go."