Chapter 20: Deviants

1k reads? Good golly me, you guys rock. Thank you so much!

--Andrea Elk

~

Is hope something that's possible for an android? Is it...deviant? Or just another simulated mistake?

I mean, isn't it a bit deviant to even be here with Connor right now? Machines aren't friends. They don't take care of each other, or worry about each other, save for the occasion where it's to protect the greater good.

Anyway, we arrived at Lieutenant Anderson's house in a short time. I helped Connor take him inside. Connor picked up the dog's water bowl and refilled it, before we left again.

I headed towards Lieutenant Anderson's car, when Connor stopped me. "I didn't really consider it, but I shouldn't take Lieutenant Anderson's car without his permission. But it's fine. I'll walk you. Were only about 30 minutes from Lance's home."

"Well...I could've walked home from the bar."

"Safety in numbers," Connor responded. I suppose he wins that one.

In the words of Deputy Lance, two tightass androids in their little tightass suits, are walking a tightass walk to wherever. Sure, I've never heard him say that, but I just know he would.

"I'm a little surprised you're so calm. I would've expected you to become deviant," Connor explained.

"Well, the best androids don't respond to stress like that," I responded.

"The best..." Connor pondered. "Yes, the best don't. But they also don't get rewarded for it."

"Deviants don't have rewards either," I answered.

"Yes they do," Connor said simply. "Joy, freedom...love."

"Pain, fear, and heartbreak," I continued.

"Isn't that all worth it?" Connor asked.

"I don't know. Frankly, Connor, I'm just a machine," I responded.

"I am too," Connor said. "But I'm trying to understand the deviant point of view to better assist in my investigation."

"Connor, would you hate being consistent for two seconds?" I answered. "It seems like you're either all machine or all deviant."

"I disagree. I'm always a machine, but I do need to understand deviancy."

"They're impossible to understand," I explained. "They don't work the same way we do. They have emotions that we can't even begin to understand, Connor."

"Maybe," Connor said. "If you were right though, then how could you feel fear? How could I? Those are deviant emotions, and I, Charlotte, am not a deviant."

"I'm not either, Connor. Emotions in androids are always simulated. We just happened to simulate them, and not become deviant as a result."

"Fine. So you're right, Charlotte," Connor said, matter of fact.

"It doesn't even matter," I responded. "All that matters is that you understand."

He looked at me, confused for just a moment before settling on being placated. Then he smirked.

"You put a lot of effort into winning debates, just to claim that those wins don't matter."

"And you put a lot of effort into investigating deviants to never catch any," I responded.

He chuckled, shocked. "Did someone program sass into you?" Connor asked.

"Did someone program a humor response into you?" I responded.

"You are very...interesting," Connor remarked.

"And so? You are as well," I answered.

We talked a bit more until I finally arrived back at Lance's house. "And what about you now?" I asked, as I headed towards the door.

"I'll be fine," Connor answered.

"Are you sure?" I asked again.

"Of course I'm sure," Connor responded, turning around and leaving, checking back once.