Chapter 72 - Resignation

When Nick and I went to the precinct, I would be not...excited per se, but I was interested. Inclined, as one might say, but now...I'm just going through the motions. I'm not with Nick. I'm not with Connor. I'm not even with Hank. I'm with North and Dechart. They're not bad people, they're just not my family.

Hank is funny. He's a character, and someone to get used to. Connor is the love of my life and maintains firm beliefs. Nick is...Nick. I miss them.

I go to work, but I get up extra early so I can walk. I can walk many of the same streets that Connor and I used to. Instead of entering the gates, and heading to the back of the factory, I take the hospital steps down the Basement. Doctor Lance is already there, crossing through the halls.

"Charlotte?" She exclaims.

"Hi, Christen," I say, smiling at her. She runs over to me and hugs me.

"Margot's surgery is next week. I want you to come," she said still holding me tight.

"Okay. I'll show," I said, chuckling.

"Oh. Perfect. Where are you going now?" She asked, finally letting me go.

"Markus. I need to see him," I explained.

"Must be a big deal," Christen said cringing. "Or maybe just tea and cookies."

"Markus seems like the coffee type," I answered.

"Oh, you're right. He's an artist. That's like their thing," Christen said, nodding to herself. "Anyway, I just wanted to let you know how happy we've been. In part thanks to you. On the other hand, you should probably know that Elijah will be at the surgery."

"Why does it matter that Kamski's there?" I asked, confused.

"You're literally meeting your maker," Christen said, a bit surprised.

"I kind of already did," I said tapping her shoulder.

"True. I did have more of a hand in your creation than Kamski, but I don't know if it's the same," Christen explained. 

"I'm sure I'll be fine."

"He's an asshole," Christen explained. 

"So, you're trying to tell me not to expect anything," I offered.

"Exactly," Christen said sighing. Fiona suddenly walked out of the room directly to the right of me.

"Oh. Hello," She said quietly.

"Fiona won't have to take care of Margot anymore with the surgery. So, I offered that she comes to help me up here. Fiona is a natural...made...nurse," Christen said, chuckling. Fiona rolled her eyes but smiled back at Christen. Oh...huh. So...I kind of did that. I'll claim it for Markus's sake. 

"Christen, I don't know if this guy needs his part fixed or replaced," Fiona explained. Christen nodded. "See you next week, Charlotte!" Christen called, as she walked into the small room.

 I nodded and waved, as I walked through the hallway to Markus's office. Knocking gave me a bit of anxiety, knowing what I'm about to do. I mean, I'm in my uniform, he'll likely be a bit confused. Okay...to be fair, I don't even know why I'm here. 

"Come on in!" Markus called, this time cheery. 

"Oh. Charlotte. A bit early?" Markus asked. He wasn't painting though. Instead, just drinking coffee, and typing.

"I suppose so. What are you doing though?"

"Paperwork! Fun. Paperwork," Markus sighed. "I've been working on it all night. I'm a bit starved for socialization."

"What is it for?"

"You're stalling," Markus said sing-songy. "I don't mind though, because I know exactly why you're here, and I want to avoid it too. I'm working on reading and making notes to some android laws. I suppose you should know. If everything goes through, Jericho will be something of its own state within a state. It's really strange."

"Huh. So..."

"So..." Markus said, sighing. 

"What were you and North discussing?" I asked. 

"North was saying that you didn't really like this job. Or...at least that she thought you didn't. I figured that she needed to give you a chance, especially since North really wants to lead the security department. For obvious reasons, I want to try every other option," Markus explained, sighing deeply. "Then you walked in...and wow...I really could see it on your face. You really do not want this job."

"What can I say. I hate the law but love the order," I answered shrugging. 

"What?" Markus asked, confused.

"I don't know. It's something I heard Nick say once."

"Oh. I figured. Anyway, I guess that's why you're here. I'm not going to stop you, or ask you to stay."

"I wasn't planning to quit. I kind of just walked down here and hoped fate would work out why exactly I'm here."

"Well, I act on behalf of fate, and I'm firing you. Go. I'll call your precinct and let them know you're on your way over."

"What?"

"Oh, c'mon. I know you Lances by now. You're going to Nick at the precinct, and you'll be his partner," Markus said, picking up the phone. "Oh, and thank you for getting Fiona to help out Christen."

"No problem," I answered smirking. 

"I'll take that as compensation for the uniform," Markus joked, smirking. "Oh! Hello, Captain. This is Markus. I have a new Deputy on the way, and she would love to be in narcotics." I left out the door. Easier than I expected.

~

I touched my LED to make a call. 

"He-llooooo?" The intensely cheery voice called.

"Hi, Nick."

"Bolts! How's work?" He asked happily.

"Have you left the house yet?"

"Yep. I'm actually doing some patrols with Kyle and Gavin."

"Well...I need a ride."

"Where?"

"I'm coming back to the precinct, Nick."

"What...?"

"I'm going to be your partner."

"Oh, thank God," I heard him mumble, before hearing a stronger male voice yell in the background.

"What the fuck, Nick?" Gavin yelled.

"Oh, haha. Joking," Nick answered, chuckling. "Not really. Jericho?"

"Jericho."

"See you soon, Charlotte."

"See you soon, Nick."