Chapter 32: Lockjaw

I finally arrived back at Deputy Lance's house, after talking with Connor about the investigation.

"What's next?" I asked.

"Hank actually suggested we meet with Elijah Kamski. He might be able to express a technological understanding of deviants."

"Is that how he actually phrased it?"

"No," Connor said disappointed. "He said 'Let's meet one of those rich assholes who made you fuckers....like uh....that dude. That one who fuckin uh...he left like a few years back...I think. He might be able to say that this is some fuckin error or some shit like that' but I preferred the Sparknotes version."

"I can see why," I answered. Connor nodded in acknowledgement and left, checking back once.

When I entered the house, it was still empty. I would at least expect to see Margot and a caregiver, whether that's Fiona, Christen, or Nick. The house is eerily empty, except for the television which is playing the news. I left it on.

I sat down and watched it for a while. The Android situation only seems to be getting worse. The government is talking about rounding up all the androids to be shut down. I'm sure if Cyberlife had the choice, I would be the first to go. That reminded me that I need to contact Amanda. I quickly shut my eyes. 

I was in the Zen garden quickly. Where is Amanda? It's beginning to snow even here in the garden, making it a bit difficult to find Amanda. I finally spot her at the edge of the freezing pond.

"Amanda!" I said excitedly. She stood up silently. She...does not look pleased.

"You have a lot to explain," she responded, angry.

"Where would you like me to start?" I asked, returning to a state of stoicism.

"The Deputy has an android...doesn't he?"

"Yes," I answered, confused.

"That android is a deviant, isn't she?"

"Yes."

"And you told Connor not to do anything about it? Didn't I tell you not to interfere with the investigation?" She asked, clearly upset.

"I was reassigned to the deviant case, and I thought it best not to upset the Deputy, since he seems to have a lot of information about the deviants," I answered.

"I told you to let Connor do what he needs to do, and you continue to interfere with his work."

"I thought-"

"You thought what?" Amanda asked, upset.

I should apologize. No. Wait. I shouldn't. I stand by what I said. I am doing this investigation, in the way that I calculate is best.

"I'm sorry," I said aloud. No, Charlotte! Tell her that you're not sorry! Tell her!

But...I can't say that. Instead I just apologize again. It's not what I want to say...but it's what I'm saying. This is wrong. This is...unfair!

"It's fine, Charlotte. Doesn't matter. I'll just speed up the replacement. We'll have the CR400 fabricated by tonight."

I'm...its really happening. I'm being replaced. Please. No, Amanda. I'll...do whatever you want. Just please don't replace me...

"Okay," I answered. No! That's not what I want to say! Why does this keep happening? Why can't I say what I need to!

As the Deputy would say, literally fuck this job. I'm sure he would also tell Amanda to stick her replacement up her ass, and to stop thinking that her shit doesn't stink, but I would never say that.

"You can leave now," Amanda said touching the water in the pond.

I didn't even say goodbye. I just left...

~

Suddenly at 3am, Deputy Lance came home, along with Christen who was carrying an asleep Margot.

"Where's Fiona?" I asked the Deputy. Christen carried Margot to her room, stepping up the stairs quietly. The look in her eyes...its very...warm. She's very much so...a mother. She has a kind expression, and a look in her eyes that reads unconditional love. I...find it quite interesting. I turned to Deputy Lance for his answer.

"She's staying there with them for a while. It's okay though. Margot's school is closed anyway. All the teachers are androids, and as it turns out, about half of them are deviants," Nick responded. I nodded.

Is the 'they' Jericho? Just other deviants? Was she a part of this whole deviant protest? Christen...Nick...were they part of this too? They had to be. Did Nick and Christen help...directly? Did they stage the attack on the Cyberlife stores too? Did they help...plan it?

Are they working with me? Or against me...?