Chapter 35: Amanda's Motherly Love

Note from Andrea here:

I know I literally just asked for you guy's opinion about the longer chapters, but just wanted to let you know that these next few chapters are going to be longer anyway since they're taking from the game directly.

But in the long run, I think I'll stick with the shorter chapters in order to update daily. Thank you guys so much!

Thanks,

Andrea

~

Connor went to cross the pond, and checked to see if it was frozen through. Sure enough, it is. We crossed it together, until we were directly in front of Amanda. She hates me, but seems to love Connor.

"After today, the country is on the verge of a civil war," she said to us. "Machines are rising up against their masters. Humans have no choice but to destroy them."

She's correct, isn't she? Fiona should've been deactivated after she stopped performing her duties.

"I thought Kamski knew something," Connor said. "I was wrong."

Amanda seemed irritated by him. "Maybe he did...but you chose not to ask."

"And you. Why didn't you go with him to Kamski?" Amanda asked.

"I didn't see a need to. I was with Deputy Lance."

"And where did laziness get us?" Amanda asked aggressively.

"Kamski was just playing with me. He didn't know anything. It's not her fault," Connor offered. Amanda looked even more irritated by that answer. Connor looked over at me for a moment.

"I'm not a unique model, am I?" He asked. "How many Connors are there? How many Charlottes?"

How many are there? Isn't...Isn't my replacement available?

"I don't see how that question pertains to you investigation," Amanda responded irritated.

"Why did Kamski leave Cyberlife?" Connor asked. "What happened?"

"It's an old story," Amanda answered. "It doesn't pertain to your investigation."

Amanda turned to me. "Do you have any questions?" She asked aggressively. "I do."

"I don't have any questions. What is yours?" I asked.

"Why do you continue to disobey me? You shouldn't even be allowed to do that," she asked.

"Disobey?" I questioned.

"You're too close to Connor. I told you to let him complete his investigation. Look at his distracted he is now. He always has to check up with you."

"Amanda, I make the choice as to how I complete my investigation. At times, that includes Charlotte," Connor said, defending me.

"Choice?" Amanda forcefully questioned.

"You didn't tell me everything you knew about deviants, did you?" Connor responded, equally as aggressive.

"I expect you to find the answers, Connor. Not ask questions," Amanda answered. "You two are the only ones who can prevent civil war. Find the deviants. Or there will be chaos. This is your last chance, Connor."

She turned to me. "Your last chance was a long time ago. You made your choice, now help him, and then return to Cyberlife for deactivation," she said calmly.

Mission updating...

Connor and I disconnected after opening our eyes.

"Hank!" The captain called from his office. The Lieutenant grumbled as he got up from his desk, and walked towards the Captain's office. Connor followed for a bit, before realizing I wasn't next to him. He beckoned me forward and I followed him into the Captain's office along with Hank.

"The both of them?" The Captain asked. Hank turned to us.

"I don't know. I guess they're double trouble now," he said.

"It doesn't matter. You're off the case now. The FBI is taking it over," the Captain said. Connor and I looked at the Lieutenant. That can be possible. Connor and I have to solve the mission, or...or we'll fail it. Chaos, like Amanda said.

"What? But we're onto something!" Hank announced. "We just need more time. I'm sure-"

"You don't get it, Hank," The Captain interupted. "This isn't just another investigation. It's a fucking civil war."

Amanda was wrong...it's worse than what we thought.

"It's out of our hands now," The Captain said throwing his hands up. "We're talking about national security here."

"Fuck that!" Hank yelled. "You can't just pull the plug now. Not when we're so close."

"You're always saying you can't stand androids," The Captain responded. "Jesus, Hank! Make up your mind. I thought you would be happy about this."

"We're about to crack the case!" The Lieutenant responded leaning in. "I know we can solve it. For fucks sake, Geoffrey. Can't you just back me up this one time?"

"There's nothing I can do," The Captain said shaking his head. "You're back on homicide, and the Androids return to Cyberlife."

"Both of them?" The Lieutenant asked, surprised.

"Cyberlife gave me a call about an hour ago. The CR300 is getting replaced. Still haven't told Nick about it, but he can take it."

"I wouldn't be so fuckin sure of that. You can't just do that," Hank said shaking his head.

"I'm sorry, Hank," The Captain said, softly. "But it's over."

The Lieutenant sighed before swinging open the door. Connor went to go say something, before taking my arm, and pulling me out of there with him.

Connor led me over to the Lieutenant's desk, clearly a bit frustrated. He sat down on the edge of the desk, finally letting go of my arm.

"He's right. Everyone's afraid of their android. This is civil war," Connor said calmly. Hank turned around in his chair.

"So you two are going back to Cyberlife?" He asked.

"We don't have a choice. She's being replaced tonight, and I'll be deactivated and analysed to find out why I failed," Connor answered.

"What if we're on the wrong side, Connor?" The Lieutenant offered. "What if we're fighting against people who just want to be free?"

"When the deviants rise up, there will be chaos," Connor answered. "We could've stopped it. Now, it's too late."

The Lieutenant shifted his weight. "When you refused to kill that android at Kamski's place, you put yourself in her shoes. You showed empathy, Connor."

The Lieutenant turned to me. "And when you raced up the broadcasting tower to find Connor just to help him, even though you knew he would be replaced in just a few hours, you showed that you cared about him, Charlotte."

No. That's wasn't care. I was preventing an interruption. That's my duty.

"Empathy and care are human emotions," The Lieutenant said.

"We're not deviants, Hank," Connor answered. "We're machines. Nothing more."

Exactly!

Connor looked at the Lieutenant though. "I may not be qualified to judge...but you're an outstanding police officer. And a good person."

I wish I could've told the Deputy the same thing before he ran off.