Chapter 18: Mission Complete

The putrid man fell to the ground screaming.

I had shot the gun out of his hand, So he was understandably clutching the hand I shot off, and nursing the shoulder wound as well.

I dialed 911 as I went to the desk.

"Hi. I have a gunshot victim here at Blackout club," I said, opening up the drawer. Inside the drawer was several hundred small packets of Red Ice.

James was still screaming. "Do you mind?" I asked.

"You blew off my fucking hand you crazy bitch!"

"I know," I responded.

I looked up at Nick who was standing in pure shock. "You saved my life," he said weakly.

I knelt down and handcuffed James to his desk. "I suppose I did, Deputy Lance."

I stood up and walked towards him. "I need to tag the evidence."

"Uh...let CSI do that. You okay, Charlotte?"

"Of course I am," I answered. I turned back on the graphics to my suit, and pushed back my bangs. I'm an android again.

"I accomplished my mission, and protected you, so it's a good day," I answered.

"So what happens to you now?"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

Lance looked at me as though I were naive. "You completed your mission..."

I suppose he is somewhat correct. "I don't think I'm done though. We've taken care of one man, who supplied to one section of Detroit. He'll even be replaced soon. My job can't be over yet."

"Listen, Charlotte. Don't you think it a bit odd that they would give you a mission that can't be completed? There will always be more dealers."

"Then tell me, Deputy Lance, why are you doing the same thing?" I asked.

"What?" He responded, confused.

"You too try to solve this crippling issue, despite it being completely futile."

"But I don't make reports to a place who's going to use those reports to eventually end me."

"Listen, Deputy Lance. I don't have a choice but to listen to Cyberlife. I'm an android, who lacks choice. Everything I do is the result of binary code."

"Then how'd you choose to save my life there? Aren't I expendable? Didn't you risk losing the suspect?"

"Yes. The suspect only had a 65% chance of surviving that gunshot," I answered.

"And what were my chances?"

"65%."

Those numbers aren't lies, but in truth, I didn't even calculate before I made the decision to save Nick. I just did...

I can't tell him that though.

"So...you decided I was a valuable asset, Charlotte?" Nick asked aggressively.

"I don't know what I decided, Deputy Lance."

"Yknow, Charlotte. I think you should just accept that maybe you're less machine than you let on," Lance said, clearly upset. I turned to him.

"Listen, Nick. Sure. I didn't calculate anything back there. I didn't make the decision to shoot him because of a computer process, but I am not a deviant," I responded.

"Even if you were, it wouldn't matter. I already house one, what's another? You need to understand, Charlotte, that there are people who will be here for you. No matter what. I think at times...even Connor would stand up for you," Nick answered.

"Fine," I responded. "Let's just get out of here, please?"

"Absolutely," He said. "I'm so fuckin tired. I'll call CSI here and we can do paperwork in the morning."

My chronometer tells me that it's 1am, and considering Deputy Lance's schedule, it makes sense for him to be so tired. We return back to his house, and he heads up for bed. Seems like Christen is already asleep.

I prepare to make a report to Cyberlife. I close my eyes, and enter the garden.