Chapter 42: Cyberlife Tower - Part 1

Connor and I returned to the station and changed back into our uniforms before getting into a self driving taxi and heading to Cyberlife tower. As we pulled up the guard looked at us.

"Connor model # 313 248 317," Connor explained. I leaned forward.

"CR300 # 313 248 318 - 22," I spoke.

"We're expected," Connor said.

Identifying...

Identification successful.

"Okay," the guard said, letting us through. The easy part is done. The hard part is just not absolutely murdering Connor. Despite it never having been a problem before, it's suddenly much more difficult, and I find my hand on my pistol a lot more often.

My thoughts are also weaker, with less emotions affecting them. My actions are less my own. It's like...I'm Charlotte...trapped inside a shell of Charlotte. We were let through the gate, and across a very extensive bridge to the tower. We climbed out, and at this point the snow was covering every inch, and my shoes left foot prints.

We entered the building which was shockingly empty except for security. They must be getting out of dodge.

"Follow me. We'll escort you," the guard said.

"Thank you, but we know where to go," Connor explained.

"Maybe. But I have my orders," the guard replied. Connor nearly sighed as we had to follow the guard to the elevator.

"Agent 23 identified," the automatic machine said. "Connor model identified. CR300 idenfitied. Agent 47. Agent 72. Identified. Access authorized."

We stepped into the elevator and the agent spoke. "Agent 54. Level 31," he said. I turned to the directory. That's marketing. Where is Connor trying to go? -49? The warehouse. Those are worlds away. How is he going to get there?

The elevator began to go up and slowly...and I had no idea what he was planning to do. Connor stood still for a moment, before immediately tackling the agent on the left to disorient him, and shoot him with his pistol behind my neck.

I would never want to kill Connor, but in the scuffle, I took out my pistol and kept it aimed on Connor. My hands were shouting kill him, but I was resisting. Every part of me wanted to kill him...except for me. As Connor shot the second guard and holstered his pistol he realized that I was a threat too.

"Charlotte..." he said, whispering. "I'll tell Jericho that you killed me if you do that."

"How will you do that? You're not coming back if I fire this," I responded.

Connor looked at me. "You're right. They'll blame you for the agents though," Connor said gesturing to the bodies.

"There's a camera. They can probe my memory. Whatever they need to do, to see that I'm on their side."

Connor looked up at the camera. "Shit..." he mumbled. "Fine. Then just listen to me. I know that Charlotte's in there and that Charlotte wouldn't kill me."

"I am Charlotte," I answered.

"No you're not. Charlotte is a deviant...stuck in an android body," he said, looking at me with a calming smile.

He's...he's right. I put my pistol away, and looked at Connor. "I'm so sorry," I responded.

"It's okay. Just...let me fix this," he said, gesturing to the elevator panel. Connor placed his hand on the elevator and spoke into it with Agent 54's voice.

"Agent 54. Level sub 49."

"Voice validation recognized. Access authorized."

The elevator began it's quick descent. As we made it down to the warehouse, we saw soldiers surround the elevator. He shook his head remembering the camera. Connor quickly picked up the body of the dead agent to use as a shield, and the moment he stepped out the elevator, he quickly fired at, and took down the 5 agents.