Chapter 77 - The Fourth Element

Connor stood up and offered his hand to help me up. "My legs aren't broke," I answered. Connor sighed.

"Listen, Connor, I'm going to head back to my house. I would prefer that you don't chase me down," I explained.

"Respectfully, I disagree. I'm going with you," Connor said, shrugging.

"Nope."

"Yep," Connor answered. Okay, I don't find it likely that I'm winning this one. Connor and I left Jericho together and headed to Nick's house.

"So...can I shut my door in your face?" I asked, as I walked back to my bedroom.

"You can try," Connor answered. Connor walked in and followed me. I laid down on my bed, while Connor sat on the edge.

"Charlotte, I don't want to be annoying, but I understand where you're coming from," Connor explained. "This...whole inability of being able to save someone. You think that since you're an android, you will always do the perfect actions that will result in a good thing. What you don't realize is that you can do everything perfectly, and the outcome will be perfect. Perfect doesn't always mean good."

"Oh."

"So, Charlotte. You can do everything right, but things won't go your way. That's what I had to realize," Connor explained. "Listen, I know you wanted to save Silvio. It just wasn't possible."

"Alright, Connor," I answered, sighing.

"Worn out?" Connor offered.

"Emotionally? Quite."

"I know," Connor said taking my hand. "It takes time. You don't ever really get over it, you sort of just manage to push it to the side."

"I suppose that's true," I responded, giving a slight shrug. Connor laid down next to me.

"Now, tell me, why were you at the scene? Did Markus send you?" Connor asked, taking my hand.

"No...I quit my job this morning, actually. I got called to respond with Nick."

"You quit? Why'd you do that?" Connor asked, confused.

"It was boring. Nothing compares to field work, Connor. So, Markus called up the Captain and told him to give me back my position."

"Will we be working together?" Connor asked, a bit excited.

"In terms of the precinct? Yes. But you work Homicide, silly."

"True, but what about that homicide Nick has been working on for months now?" Connor offered.

"The tattoo overdose thing? I don't know. Probably," I answered. God. That was so long ago. I'll have to reanalyze data to remember that case.

"Well, yes. We've been working with Nick a bit on that."

"So...I guess we are sharing a case."

"It'll be easy with the both of us," Connor answered. Connor thought for a moment. "It's weird when you're less emotional than me."

"Is it? I thought you would be more used to this. What with how I was before I went deviant."

"I suppose that's true. You've always been here to soften me, though, Charlotte. I never prepared to have to soften you," Connor explained.

"I guess you have a point there."

"Mmm...how can I melt this cold, icy, exterior, you're putting up right now?" Connor asked confused.

"A hair dryer?" I answered.

"And bitter too," Connor mumbled. He suddenly kissed my cheek. Okay, I am certainly melting a bit.

"Did that help?" Connor flirted.

"No," I answered, chuckling a bit. Connor nodded.

"I'll just have to be a bit more extreme," He responded. He sat up and threw off his suit jacket, before smirking and straddling me.

He leaned forward and kissed my neck. He pressed his body against mine, leaving no room for air.

"Alright. That's fair," I responded. Connor chuckled, his head still buried in the crevice of my neck. He slowly moved up to my jawline. He kissed my lips gently, before looking at me in the eyes, intensely close.

"Yes?" I answered.

"I need to get back to work," Connor whispered.

"No!" I said quickly. "Uh. I mean-"

"I know what you meant," Connor said sitting up. "I can't exactly...satisfy myself...with an...afternoon delight, and go back to work. Even if I did, I couldn't look Hank in the eyes."

Connor adjusted his tie, before climbing off from on top of me.

"Oh, do you have to go back?" I begged.

"Mmhmm," Connor said searching the room for where he'd thrown his jacket. He finally found it behind the dresser. "Miss Cold and Unapproachable is begging me to say. Interesting."

"Oh, shut up," I responded and Connor fixed his jacket. He winked at me and leff.

I think I might really love him...