Chapter 6: Machine Things

Hey guys!

Little note from Andrea here. I don't like writing author's notes, because they seem to break the flow of things, but here I am.

Thank you guys for reading, and being active on the story. Adding it to lists, commenting, voting, finishing chapters, everything! I really appreciate it, as this is my fastest growing story to date. You guys are awesome! Thanks so much!

--Andrea Elk

~

I started my walk back to the Deputy. Instead of following Connor's pace, I walked back much more slowly. I...wasn't...I didn't want...I didn't calculate an advantage to running back. Deputy Lance met me half way back anyway.

"Don't run off like that! We were talking one moment, and the next, you and Connor were gone!"

"Sorry, Deputy Lance."

"Don't apologize...just...be careful," he explained. "We don't want Mark 23."

He poked the serial number on my jacket.

"I understand," I told him. He just started to walk away and waved at me to follow him. As I began though, he suddenly turned around.

"Stop. How do you just do that?" He asked.

"What do you mean, Lance?"

"This morning you are faced with death, and 2 hours later, you're helping out the very guy who would've killed you. Not to mention, you're just walking around like nothing happened. Aren't you upset? Messed with a little?" He asked upset.

I thought for just a moment. Processed it, I mean.

"Well, yes, Lance. Of course it upset me. However, Connor made a...Connor just...Connor's programming acted properly. Only...his AI noticed the mistake, and tried to correct his programming. It's what allows his programming to evolve. Like any machine, Connor had to learn. I'm also positive it upset him too. Correcting your programming can be...traumatic," I explained.

"Of course. Just...machine things," Lance answered. He rolled his eyes. "Be honest with me. We're partners now, so I want complete honesty. Did you...feel...in that moment?"

I stared back at Lance. "It was impossible not too. I'm just glad I don't now," I answered.

"If you end up being a deviant, Charlotte...just know...I won't tell Connor," Lance said, dragging his fingers through his hair.

"Don't say that. If I did, I would want you to tell Connor. That means that all of the other models of me would have the potential to be deviant."

"Yeah...I guess," Lance said, rubbing his eyes. "Let's go to the dealer."

I followed him as he led me back to the car.

"So, here's the plan," he said, starting up the transmission. "I'll go to the dealer, and if something happens...that's where you come in. Do you have a pistol?"

"Yes, Deputy."

"Good...then...stay on standby when we arrive. Whatever you do...don't fire unless I say so."

"Of course, Deputy," I answered.

"My only concern is about after...The Eden Club. Do we have any idea about their operations?"

"They're an extremely popular android sex club so any dealings are likely under the table," I explained.

"Exactly...so here's what I think we'll have to do. I will rent one out, you'll take her place. Then, you'll stand surveillance...watch for anything suspicous. I'll try and look around and pick up on something. If I'm able to purchase any drugs, I'll come back and get you. If you see something, you'll come and get me."

"Seems like a sound plan."

"I'm sorry to make you do that, but I can't think of a way to do this otherwise. Can you?"

Processing...

Analyzing...

"No. This gives us the highest chance of success. Otherwise, were operating below a 30% chance."

"And what does this give us?"

"A 31% chance of success."

"You have a terrible bedside manner," Lance replied.

"Fine...then...a substantially higher chance or success with your plan, Lance."

"Yeah...not much better. Moment's over. Forget it, Charlotte."