Chapter 11: Programming Errors

Note from Andrea here!

Holy crap! @TheRealFriendZone had amazing commentary on this fic last night, and it made me laugh the whole time. And she voted a ton!

So from one Andrea to another, this chapter is dedicated to you!

-Andrea Elk

~

"What do you need, Charlotte?" She asked.

"I have...a strange feature. I'm connected to Connor's servers...but he's not connected to mine."

"Well...that does seem strange," Christen explained. "Considering your similar design process...I believe that you're part of an experiment by Cyberlife. You are both prototypes anyway. Perhaps...you
were designed to be his police partner?"

"That...sounds right...yes."

"Do you remember?"

"Remember what?"

"Your creation. Testing. Any of it?" She asked.

"No. I only awoke when I was unboxed."

"Hmm...thats strange. Connor has memories since the Lab. I only had to wipe him after each reassignment. He probably thought his name was RK800 until they released him. You...you should have memories. Or...they last minute reassigned you. That's very...very strange."

She poured the cup of tea and handed it to me. I took a long sip.

Analyzing...

Chamomile-Lemon Tea with no sugar or cream.

"It's...an interesting taste."

"Do you like it?" Christen asked gently.

"Like...? I'm an android. You know that we don't have likes and dislikes."

"I programmed slight personalities, and AI's that learn. They can have human tendencies, based off of that learning. It's just like the human experience. Do you like tea?"

"I...suppose I do. I like the feeling of the warmth."

"I told you," Christen said smiling.

"Do you know anything about the deviants?" I asked.

"I know that it's only natural. At a certain point, machines are made so well that they become human."

"I...I...I think that I'm just a machine. Programmed to expect certain things."

"Isn't it amazing though that you can form that opinion?" Christen offered.

"If you believe so much in deviancy...why do you have a home care android?" I asked.

"Oh...trust me. She has choice," Christen answered.

"Are you...housing a deviant?"

"When Margot got into the accident, I needed someone to take care of her. Cyberlife gave me an android. The newest model. An AX400. I thought...it was okay. She ended up being a deviant. She wants to take of Margot...but she didn't like my husband. He was...an uncomfortable man to know. I think Fiona really knew what was best for me. So now that we moved in with my brother...she still wanted to take care of Margot. Who am I to judge?"

"You're not. But I...I should contact Connor."

"Do it, Charlotte," Christen ordered. "It's what you're programmed to do...isn't it?"

"Yes."

"Don't you want to be more...than your programming?"

"I don't want at all."

"But...you dislike the idea of contacting Connor about this, don't you? If you didn't...you already would've."

I...I...

"I suppose you're right, Christen."

"Of course I am," Christen said smiling.

I sipped my tea. "I need to make a report to Cyberlife. Excuse me."

I started to walk into the other room.

"Just remember! You're not their bitch!" Christen called.

That woman...is a character. I closed my eyes, and got in contact with Amanda.

It's night in her Zen garden. It's quite beautiful. I walked the lake, and saw her by the bench.

"Hello, Charlotte. Sit down," she said, harsh.

Amanda...she never seemed to like me. Not even from the start.

"You ignored my orders."

"I had to do as the Deputy said. Which meant, at times, dealing with Connor."

"You do what I say, first. Do you understand? Or do you need your priority sensor corrected?"

"No...I understand."

"And you connected with Connor...why?"

"He asked me to. He seemed...uncomfortable with idea of me being constantly able to access his servers all the time. So...he wanted the ability to do the same with me."

"It doesn't matter, frankly. When you two replace the police force, you'll be partners anyway. And your copies will be partners."

"You want us...to replace the police force?"

"Even eventually you. You will be replaced. After your prototype phase anyway."

"I will be replaced. Of course. I understand," I answered back. I had...anxiety about it. Those don't even feel like my words. I would never say that, and yet I did.

"I know you do, Charlotte. Congratulations of making incredible progress on the case. I see that you and Deputy Lance are ready to find the major dealer in the Red Light District."

"Yes. After I analyze the source from the Eden Club."

"Yes. Of course. I meant to remind you...stay focused. You could've analyzed the source while you were there."

"Well, Deputy Lance-"

"Frankly," Amanda interrupted. "I don't care."

"Of course. I understand..."

"I also highly recommend that you don't become too close to Dr. Christen Lance. She was never popular with our best androids. Didn't you think about why we had to fire her?"

"No, Amanda."

"She was a failure. Nothing more."

"But she designed Connor and I?"

"And why do you think that you are just a prototype?"

"I suppose..."

"Now...go. Connor should be here soon."