Chapter 87 - Work Hard

"Nick," I said, slamming a file in front of him. Of course, he was downing a hot chocolate. It's fair. It's far too early in the morning and we're here at the precinct. Nick sighs.

"Yes, Bolts?" he begs. 

"We have two more locations to hit. Then we can start analyzing the suspects," I explained.

"I am not a homicide detective. Can we transfer this to homicide? I would love to just deal with 15-year-olds smoking weed again. Not the red ice bullshit," Nick responded, sighing. 

"You know very well that's a lie," I answered.

"Ugh. I really can't bring myself to do this today."

"I know, but we're not required to go to the nightclub tonight."

"Sometime's it's incredible to think that you were crazy impatient and forceful just a few months ago. Now you're not subject to care. Actually, in this situation, I love it. I need to sleep tonight...like all night. Save...for if...I decide that Gavin...should come over tonight?" 

"Just let me know how many layers of soundproofing to put up," I remarked.

"None. None...I think," Nick mumbled. 

"Wow," I smirked. 

Nick stood up and sighed. "If I pass out in a custody suite, will anybody notice? Those who notice...will they care?" Nick mumbled. 

"Please don't sleep in a custody suite..."

"Then maybe, the detainee's shouldn't make the room look so comfortable looking,' he threatened. Suddenly, Nick's phone buzzed. He turned it on. 

"Shit, the patrols are out," Nick sighed.

"For the week?" I asked, confused.

"Yeah. I can't do a patrol today. Not one bit. It'll throw me for a loop, Charlotte," he groaned. "But I haven't had any in a month. I can't get lucky a fifth time."

"Just check it...then we'll decide," I answered. 

He scrolled for a bit, before closing his eyes, and almost nearly crying. "Okay. At least it's only my shift. We have 7-5pm today. That's not bad. I can deal."

"Then...why are you crying?" I asked, confused.

"Because Kyle has puppy training and I can't go with him! He'll be gone for a week!" Nick cried.

"Oh, Nick," I said standing up. I pat his arm a bit as he began to cry. 

"I'm sorry. I'm tired, and I really like my dog."

"I know, I know-"

"And I have to put on a stupid uniform," he cried, hugging me softly.

"It's okay, Nick. It's alright," I whispered.

"Ugh. Whatever," he said, throwing his head up and wiping his tears. He took far too deep of a breath and attempted to pull himself together. "Go change. I'll go take Kyle to the kennel thing. Not that I'm happy about it..."

Nick turned around rapidly and nearly stomped off. I stared at him for a moment, trying to figure out what's up with him, before turning back and heading to the women's locker room. Detective...Detective...Detective...Oh, here's mine. Detective Lance. I opened up the locker to find my patrol uniform, as well as my dress uniform. I took out the patrol uniform and got dressed. I suppose the only thing worthy of note is that I look damn good in a tie. It's a standard navy blue uniform and I didn't organize for myself to have any honor pins. I did pin my silly little badge to it. Something about it on the uniform added more to it rather than just the standard detective wallet thing. Pretty much like I am a real cop for some reason. 

I pulled on the hat that came with it, pulling my hair back behind my ears. Okay...I look a bit like a traffic cop, but how much do I really care? I exited out of the locker room and headed back to my desk. Eventually, Connor came in, without Hank. God, I do love when he dresses more like a professor than a detective. Something about a tan tweed jacket is very cute. 

"Wow...where's your partner in crime?" I asked.

"I could say the same for you. For that matter, what's with the getup? Patrols? You look...adorable, actually," Connor remarked, approaching me. He looked around for a moment, checking for anyone important, before planting a quick kiss on my lips. 

"Nick is putting Kyle in for puppy training and putting on his uniform..and yes we have patrols. Your turn," I answered.

"Hank is going back for coffee. Not back to the house. No, back to the other side of town to grab the only coffee in the city he likes when he's bored with the 'shit here at the cop house,' as he likes to put it," Connor explained, rolling his eyes. "But I have paperwork. Well, computer work. I've got a new exciting case."

"What are you dealing with, Connor?" I offered.

"No fun serial killers, but nevertheless an exciting murder. A great little case I've got here in fact. I am a bit scared because I need more evidence for the District Attorney. Needless to say, I'm a little stressed," Connor complained. 

"Oh, Connor," I mumbled. 

"At least I have you. At least I have you," Connor answered. I smiled a little bit. Connor also smiled a bit. 

"Oh, break it up. Ew," Nick said pushing through the two of us. Now...he does look a bit stupid in the uniform considering that he typically wears the same thing every day like a low budget Steve Jobs. Have I made that joke before? Alright, like a high budget cartoon character. 

I couldn't help but chuckle a bit at him. 

"I think I would look better as a stripper than an actual cop," Nick mumbled. He grabbed his badge off the desk and looked at me with a shrug. "Ready to go, Bolts?"

"Of course," I answered.

"Love you," Connor said placing a quick kiss on my lips.

"Ew," Nick sighed. He pulled me by the arm.

"I love you too," I answered, practically chasing after my own arm just to keep up with Nick.