Chapter 47 - Wake Up

It's December 16th.

I can feel my fingers twitch when I really focus on it. Sometimes, when I do it, I can feel the man who's holding my hand gently caress it, as if to remind me that I am indeed alive. That I am here...wherever here may be.

Suddenly, when the news had moved onto very late night repeat news, I could move my eyes. I can't open them, but I can move them. I'm getting close. I spent a few hours just moving my eyes, and the news has rolled over to December 17th.

It's 3:22am.

I can see.

My eyes, they're open. I'm facing a blank wall, but the rest of my body is turned upwards. I go to move my head but can't.

I try to speak, but...again...I can't. Instead of words, just a weak noise come outs.

"Huh," I whisper softly.

"Charlotte?" I hear the deeper male voice ask. I can hear his footsteps and see him walk around the corner over to me. "You...you're awake?"

It's a slightly tall brown haired man. His hair is parted and slicked back neatly. He's wearing a suit, but has an android LED on the side of his head. He doesn't have on a uniform though...

I recognise him vaguely. Actually...strongly. I just don't remember his name...

He looks very shocked before running out of the room. "Doctor!" He calls. He suddenly returns with the doctor. She's a young female with long blonde hair that's curly and tied back. Again...I recognize her.

"Charlotte. Do you recognize me?" She asked. "Blink for yes."

I blinked.

"Do you recognize him?" She asked pulling down the brown haired man.

I blinked.

"Do you remember our names?"

I didn't blink.

"She doesn't remember my name?" The brunette man asked.

"She does. It's just really far back. Her AI is too focused on gaining control of her body again to even work on her memories. Give her a few days and she'll remember. First though, she needs to talk, and walk. She can't even move her head, so it's going to take some work," the Doctor explained.

"Okay. Charlotte. I'm Doctor Lance, but you can call me Christen," she said calmly.

Christen Lance. I do recognize that name...but from where?

"This is Connor," she said pulling him again, into my eyes view. "He's...a friend of yours. I presume he's staying with you until you recover."

"Obviously," Connor answered.

Connor...I do remember that name.

Connor looked at me calmly. "Let me help you up," he said. He came over to me and gently moved me around. Adjusted my shoulders and my neck so that I was sitting up right and facing forward. With a full view of my room, it's very clear that I'm in some sort of hospital bed. Strangely enough, there are blankets on top of me. I'm not...cold. I don't feel cold. That's not a sensitivity I have.

"She looks very confused, Doctor," Connor said. Doctor Lance nodded before coming into my view at the end of the bed.

"Okay, Charlotte. Do you have any idea why you're here?" She asked.

I shot myself. In my biocomponent. Why? I don't know.

I blinked.

"Okay. So you remember the biocomponent?" Doctor Lance asked.

I blinked.

She quickly pulled something out of her pocket. It looked like a small...metal ring. Except the inside of it was glowing blue.

"This here, is that very biocomponent. This is called the #6302s, or as most Cyberlife engineers called it, Amanda. In it's early model, it was nothing more than a server that certain androids had to report to. Connor, here, is a model like that. Connor was designed to be able to become a deviant, but never do that because of Amanda," Doctor Lance explained. "You, however, had Amanda as a part of you. When you damaged it, it told your body to slow Thyrium pumping until it eventually stopped. This was so that your AI could download some remnants of Amanda. She...or some part of her is probably with you. But don't worry. She can't bother you anymore, not without this biocomponent."

I blinked to show that I understand.

"Otherwise," Doctor Lance continued. "You've been out for about a month. A lot of that was because we couldn't find a replacement for your biocomponent. After some digging, and some fabrication, I did create a similar biocomponent. Except, biocomponents won't work unless they're given a purpose. So, in some repaired deviants this purpose is very similar or the same to what it functioned as before. In one, she originally had a heat sensitivity function, but now she has cold sensitivity instead. In others, they have to take on very strange and new functions. You are going to have to do the latter."

What does she mean?

"You're going to have to sleep."