Chapter 68 - The Edge

"Connor...I'm running out of space for the flowers," I said, letting him into the house. After the work day, I headed home immediately, knowing that Connor would be over soon. I expected Nick and Connor to arrive at the same time, but strangely enough, Nick wasn't here at all. Kyle is here...meaning that Nick already came home, and dropped him off.

I suppose he's out. Doing something.

Connor walked inside and handed me yet another bouquet. This time, he followed me back to my bedroom. My bedroom was relatively unchanged from when Christen occupied it. I have some chairs in the corner, and...there was no need for a computer. So, that's all that really changed. I placed the flowers next to the others and turned on the light.

"I think we should stay in here. I don't know when Nick will be home, and I don't know likely he is to make fun of us for hours on end."

Connor chuckled. "That is highly likely with Nick Lance," Connor said, nodding.

"You'll never guess who I met today," I said, sitting down in the chair across from him.

"Who?" Connor asked, with genuine interest.

"Connor," I answered.

"Yes? Who?" Connor responded confused.

"Connor," I explained.

"Ohhhh," Connor sighed. "I just don't know why he's taller than me."

"I...don't like him," I responded.

"He's...me? I feel targeted," Connor responded.

"No. He's not...you're you. He's not-you but he has your past. It's uncomfortable."

"Oh, Charlotte," Connor said chuckling. "I really hope we don't find a way to make the CR400 deviant because this conversation will come back to bite you in the ass."

"Oh, you mean to say that when you meet my crazy twin sister as a deviant, you won't be the slightest bit uncomfortable?"

"No, because I'm cool, calm, and collected," Connor answered, taking out his coin, and flipping nonchalantly.

"Oh. Yeah. Cool. Calm. Collected. Those are the qualities of someone who became deviant from Markus chastising them," I answered. Connor smirked a bit at my response, and then...suddenly, his LED flashed red, he froze, and he dropped his coin. He dropped his coin? Connor...the most meticulous bastard on the planet.

"Connor, are you-"

"Shh," Connor ordered me. I suddenly heard footsteps. Connor took his gun and held it close to his waist.

"Connor, it's probably just Nick," I explained. We suddenly heard two male laughs. Two? One was obviously Nick, but the other I couldn't recognize.

"See? It's Nick...and...his bodyguard, I guess," I explained shrugging. Connor sighed deeply in relief.

"Sorry. I'm on edge," He responded.

"So cool, calm, and collected," I joked. Connor didn't respond. Tough crowd. "Sorry."

"No...I'm sorry. I love you, and I'm sorry," Connor said softly.

"Whoa, whoa. Why the sudden mood change?" I asked confused.

"Because...I love you...and I'm sorry about it. I'm sorry I do," Connor explained.

"Do you not like me? Did I do something wrong? Why are you saying this?" I asked, scared. Is he trying to say he doesn't want to be with me?

"I love you so much. I just...worry about you, all the time. I don't you to be hurt, but I can't treat you the way I want to. I want to watch like a bird in a cage just so I can keep you safe, but that would be terrible. I just love you so much, I don't want you to get hurt. So I'm on edge, and I worry. All day at the precinct, all I could think about was you. You and the stupid CR400," Connor said, pacing about.