Chapter 79 - Combustion

Waking up the next morning, Nick was already up making coffee. "Who is ready to break into a new case! Well an old one. It's still a case, right?" Nick asked.

"Yes," I answered, pulling on my bomber jacket.

"Well...lets get to it!" Nick said excitedly. Not to my surprise any, he immediately picked up the dog and held him like an infant.

"You do know Kyle isn't a child...right?" I asked.

Nick covered Kyle's ears. "Shh! He can hear you!"

"Oh, of course," I sighed, nodding. I placed my head in my hands, confused. Nick chuckled before sipping his coffee. 

Nick shook his head suddenly. "I should really drink decaf," Nick sighed. 

"Yeah. Maybe the police officer shouldn't be twitchy from a ton of caffeine."

"Eh. Maybe. C'mon. Let's head out," Nick said nodding towards the door. We took his car to the precinct, and perfectly, my desk hadn't been taken over. Nick sat down and reached into his desk.

"Now, while you were out, and then hanging out with Markus and fake Connor, Gavin and I made some substantial progress on analyzing these files," Nick commented. He pulled out the huge stacks of about 20 thick files.

"Before the Revolution, we made it through about 1 and a half of these. As of today, we've made it through an incredible 3 files," Nick said smirking with a charming smile.

"Oh my," I said cradling my head.

"You won't believe how little data it is to go off of. Point still stands though. Do you happen to remember the case details?" Nick asked.

Of course I do. The basics anyway. People found in weird places with elements of foul play. Strangely enough they have terrible and unfinished tattoos. They are all red ice users found dead of overdoses. Recently though, the victim wasn't even a red ice user. The killer has developed.

"We're thinking that we have a serial killer who kills druggies with overdoses and frames it as self inflicted, takes trophies and just recently escalated to fully aware people...right?" I offered.

"I think that's exactly what I said last time. Don't do that. It's weird," Nick said chuckling a bit. Suddenly, Gavin walked in, looking more tired than he usually does. He took one look at the pile, and slammed another case file down on top of it.

Nick picked it up and opened it. He threw it to me, and there was that same terrible, incomplete tattoo. "Hey, Gavin! What the fuck is this? Woulda been nice to have gotten a call so I could've been on the scene!" Nick yelled, as Gavin walked away. Gavin instantly turned around and marched right over.

"I did call you. But someone has my number blocked!" Gavin yelled. He turned back around shaking his head. Nick stood there a bit surprised but sighed anyway.

"Boy, am I tired of being gay," Nick sighed. I looked at him confused.

"I don't know if that's a thing you can get tired of," I answered.

"Well...I am! Maybe I don't want to think that he's so overwhelmingly hot when he's angry!" Nick announced, far too loudly.

"He's so hot because he's so furious he's giving himself a fever. I'm absolutely positive Gavin is only a few degrees away from spontaneous combustion at any given moment," I answered.

"Oh, there's the sassy, analytical Bolts I've been missing in my life," Nick responded, giving me a wink. "I like to think it was only my ass being too gay that really could've brought you back."

"Every time you talk, I see why your sister is the engineer."

"I have missed you!" Nick cheered a bit to myself, not even really processing the joke. "Can't relish the moment too much though. Paperwork time."

Nick promptly sat down in the chair so hard that it bounced a bit before supporting his complete weight. I suppose it's my job to analyze this first, most recent case.

"So I thought about something you asked me a while ago," Nick asked while reading his own casefile.

"Yeah?" I answered back.

"How long?"

"How long what?"

"Yknow...Connor...how big do they make those things?"

"He's like...what a meter and 3/4s tall?" I asked.

"Oh...so he's a biggun?"

"He's not that tall..." I answered confused.

"Oh...you don't really understand the question, do you?" Nick asked, chuckling.

"Do you even understand-Oh," I said, a bit shocked. Nick laughed.

"Please don't answer that question. It was meant to be a joke," Nick sighed.

"And what if I'd gotten the question the first time? Would you suddenly know far too much about Connor?" I answer confused.

"No...but I guess the follow-up would've had to be...is that the standard?" Nick asked chuckling.

"You do know that were real cops. This isn't Police Academy," I answered, chuckling back.

"A boy can dream. Can you imagine how different a buddy cop movie would be if it were just an incredibly gay detective and his sassy android pal?" Nick asked.

"I can hear the Hollywood producer and his pile of money now," I answered.

Nick smiled, pushing back his hair. In fact, he really fixed his hair. Then, I saw Gavin walk by. Whether consciously, or subconsciously, Nick had heard Gavin's footsteps and really fixed up his hair.

Yeah. That breakup won't last long.