Chapter 4

Once inside the medical room. I was in panic mode. I was not prepared, in the slightest. I was not ready to escape. I had no plan. How foolish of me. But first, I had to treat my wounds made by the plastic shard. If not, I would surely bleed to death.
So, grabbing the only stuff I knew of - some sort of disinfectant and bandages. I got to work. It was actually a lot easier and quieter to do as there were no pauses, hisses and cries of pain during the disinfection of each cut. I could get used to this..!
It didn't take long before I was done. But the next task was a little trickier. Getting off the chain and collar. A wrong move or adjustment. Even just pulling at it wrong, could cause it to go off - they were very temperamental. And this is not the time to be electrocuted. Again.
Key, key, key.. I say inside my head over and over as I desperately try to look for something to unlock the damn thing.
No use. I could try to grab a key off of a doctor or nurse, but there's an 80% chance they wouldn't have one on them. Grunting, I decide to keep it on, but to be careful not to bang it. Slowly turning the collar so the chain was at the back of my head, I wrap it around my waist and secure it with a zip-tie tag. Believe it or not, those buggers are strong when holding shit together.
"Can hold a chain together better than I can hold my life together."
Rolling my eyes, I slowly peer out of the room. The halls were chaos. Red flashing lights, screaming alarm systems and nurses running around all over the place. Some chasing patients and some being chased by patients. I step out and quickly grab the attention of a patient I recognised from when I first arrived. I had only seen her once but remembered the face.
"Hey! Whats going on here? I thought it was just a shut down, why is everything so manic?"
She suddenly gasps and hugs me tightly. Pressing the chain deep into my shoulder blade. That was possible due to the fact that, as it wrapped around my waist, it would have to curve around my shoulders in order to wrap at the beginning. Although, once she pulled away, the zip-tie snapped and the chain fell to the floor. Leading me back to being a dog on a leash. Some good zip-tie you were!
"You're the one who freed us! When the building tried to close down your room, it drained all the energy so all our room doors opened!"
She squealed before running away laughing. Oh great. So by locking me in my room, everyone else gets to go free. Figures.

I waste no more time, running to the exit, bursting out of the doors, instantly coming to a halt once I reach the grass line. I had forgotten what grass, looked like. It was, so green, so, so...
Taking a careful step forward onto the grass. It's sensation tickled my bare foot as I wiggled my toes.
"Soft..!"
I make a dash for it, running as fast as I could on the gentle grass, the breeze brushing against my cheeks as my chain tail dragged along the ground behind me, but I didn't let that stop me. I kept running and running for as far as I could. A forest coming into view. But once I reach it, the edge, the beginning of the forest, I freeze. I had to think rationally. If I was an escaped 'mental' patient. I would be on a wanted lists. I needed something, something to hide my identity. From the world. A mask of some sort.. but, where would I even.. ugh.. For now, I would just improvise. Ripping of part of my hospital night dress, I use my sharp, overgrown nails as a knife, to cut out two eye holes and a mouth, just to breathe. I would of cut just one eye hole, as that would make sense. But I wanted to feel normal within myself. Even if my left eye was useless. I also make two other holes on either side of the fabric edge to place over my ears, holding the 'mask' in place.
Taking a deep breath, I rush into the forest, dashing past trees and jumping over stones or roots that stuck out from the dirt. The ground was soft but also quite hard and rough. It just felt so good to be free!

"OI WATCH OUT!"
A voice suddenly bellows. But, I couldn't see it, which only meant one thing. Turning my head to the left, all I see is a flash of white before I'm collided with and forced to the floor as a weight is heavily applied on top of me as I fall, causing me to grunt as my lungs are compressed on impact. Sitting up and rubbing my head, I take a few calming breaths. Luckily, my hair had fallen perfectly in front of my left eye, meaning who ever or whatever it was, wouldn't see my bloodshot eye through the eye hole in the fabric of my 'mask'. I knew my hair covered it as I could feel it trapping my eyelashes as I blinked.
"What the fuck dude! You ran right into me!"
The voice yells as it too, sits back and rubs its head. I rubbed mine due to the confusion of falling, steadying myself. They rubbed theirs through the pain of falling and crashing into someone.

They look up and glare at me, but I couldn't help being stunned. The appearance, what I saw, even with only one eye. I was shocked. I don't know if I was scared, or intrigued or what. Just, shocked. They had no top eyelids at all and contained no eyebrows or lashes. The eyes were bleached and so was the skin. So pale, almost white. Their hair was a charcoal black, but, their mouth. It, it was, different, extraordinary, frightening.. Where the usual mouth corners would be to finish the lips, two long slices stretched up the face, creating a much longer and terror inducing smile. Although, the cuts looked old, very old. 100% healed. So they must of been done a long time ago.
I was so captivated. Did they, do this to themselves? Or did someone else do it to them. I was unsure of its gender as with such a distorted face, it was hard to tell.

Without realising fulling what I was doing, I had leant forward, raising my hands to their face, trying to inspect their deep cheek slices, but I'm suddenly brought back to realisation when my hands are harshly slapped away.
"What the heck do you think you're doing! Freak! Get the f-"
They suddenly stop talking as their pained and angry eyes shift to my thigh before they burst out laughing.
"You got a bit of an issue there idiot!"
They laugh as they point. I was confused. Could they mean one of my bandages? But once I look down, that's not what it was at all. As I fell, I had obviously fallen into a sharp, very sharp piece of broken root, or twig, or something. As a long wooden structure protruded out both sides of my thigh, entering one side and exiting the other. Blood dripping down into a puddle. I didn't even notice it had happened.
In a panic, I grab the wood and slowly pull it out, tossing it to the side before standing to my feet and running away as fast as I could. Deeper into the forest.
"Hey-! OI!!"