Chapter 45

My hands started to become drenched in Jeff's blood. It even started to soak into my clothes and hair. But I didn't care, I refuse to let him go, to leave his side. I would sit here forever until the day I die. Die by his side.
I still couldn't stop crying, it just didn't feel real, or almost too real. This shouldn't have happened.. if it wasn't for me, Jeff would still be alive..
"Sir Sir! It's [Name]'s toad! It's alive!"
A voice echos quietly in my mind.. I recognised the voice but.. it sounded young.. where did I remember this voice..
"Look Sir! It can be happy! It's alive! Isn't that wonderful!"
I knew that voice too.. that was, MY voice.. my voice from when I was a child.. What was going on? What is this memory my mind is trying to relive?
"Sir Sir! It's [Name]'s toad! It's alive! - NO! - Nonsense! This animal is supposed to be dead for scientific research! - It's alive! - [Name]'s toad! - Stop fooling around [LastName]! - It's alive! - NO! - Nonsense! - NO! - Isn't that wonderful! - It's alive! - It's alive!"
Words over lapping each other played in my mind over and over in a loop. Like a song set to reply, only it's more than one song playing at once.
"My.. toad.."
My eyes shoot open after my sudden realisation. Back when I was 7 years old, I brought that dead toad back to life.
"That's it!"
Leaning back off of Jeffs chest, I wipe away my tears, accidentally smearing blood all across my face, but that didn't matter. Focusing hard on Jeffs chest, I inhale deeply, holding my breath, slowly closing my eyes and imagining Jeffs heart in my head. His heart was still and cold, draining of colour. But I change my thought so his heart was plump and full of colour, warming and beating strong. I imagine his mangled body to be perfectly healed and wound free.
Exhaling all the air I possibly could, I open my eyes to see Jeff still lifeless.
"No no no come on!"
I shuffle as close as possible, placing my hands over his heart. Imagining over and over him being alive and healthy. Strong and powerful. His original self.
"Come on Jeff.. Come on!"
I begin to cry, fearing my power would not work. That toad was the first and last time I had ever brought something back to life. What if... what if that ability had worn away and I could no longer use it..
"NO! No that's not true!"
I yell to myself. Taking in an even deeper breath than before, practically becoming painful how much air I was holding inside my lungs.
Pushing down on his chest, I lean down and breath all my air into his mouth. Not attempting CPR, but trying to transfer my power into my oxygen to revive his entire body.
"Please Jeff.. please, please let this work.. you can't die.. you can't.. I won't let you.. not yet.. not ever. You can't leave me Jeff..Please don't leave me.. I..I love you.."
I couldn't help but cry as I quietly whisper to him, gently kissing his lips before resting my head on his chest. Waiting for it to work. I could only hope that because Jeff is bigger than a toad, that it's going to take longer.. Hope, that's all I could do, is hope..

Hours had past and Jeff still hasn't woken. His wounds were still there and he had no heart beat. I had failed, but I wasn't going to leave him. I'll lay here until I die of starvation or dehydration. Signs lowly, I close my eyes and try to rest on his chest. Gripping his hoodie, holding him close.
"I'm not going to leave you.."
I cry softly in the fabric of his hoodie, hiding my face against it.
"Well I should hope not."
A voice suddenly replies. I quickly sit up, looking down at Jeff as he raises himself to sit up, smiling at me widely. But his expression suddenly changes when he sees my shocked yet excited face.
"What?"
He asks. I instantly lunge forward, wrapping my arms around him and pulling him close. He returns the embrace.
"Easy [Name]. I'm still sore."
"It worked! It really worked! You're alive! I can't believe it you're alive!!"
I cry loudly, tears streaming down my face. Tears of happiness and joy.
Jeff chuckles, pulling away and looking deep into my eyes.
"I heard you talking to me [Name]. It was faint and distant... but I heard you."
He seemed so serious yet so sad at the same time. I never would have thought he would be able to hear me. He must have been going through the reviving process as I spoke to him.
"[Name]. I'm not going to leave you. Ever. You have my word."
He smile softly, cupping my face with his hands, bringing me close, placing a soft, warm and loving kiss on my lips. Pulling away slowly, gazing deep into my eyes.
"I love you."