Chapter 21

Percy POV:

I woke up around five in the morning and got ready for school. I hadn't gone for a few days and it might keep me distracted. I don't know why I was so torn up about Gabe. Why should I be? He treated me like trash, actually worse than trash and killed my mom in front of me, without showing remorse.

I walked to school early, wanting to clear my head. I got about a block away from school before I looked at my phone for the time. 6:45. I slid my backpack off and sat on a bench on the school's lawn. 

I pulled out my earbuds and played Pandora. Skillet's Hero came on and I was about to skip it. I felt a tap on my shoulder as my finger hovered above the skip button.

"You shouldn't skip that." A female stood behind me. She had spiky black hair and electric blue eyes. Before I had to look at the rest of her face to figure out who it was, I already recognized her as Thalia Grace.

"Why not?" I asked, not in the mood for much conversation. 

"Because Skillet it the best band ever. Plus I already know you like the song." Thalia pointed to my screen showing me the thumbs up button was white, indicating I clicked it at some point. 

"I don't feel like listening to Skillet right now." I was trying to figure out a way to end the talk when a blonde girl with startling grey eyes came over.

"Hey Thals," she said.

"What up, Annabeth?" The girl, Annabeth shrugged.

"Leo was being stupid again so I decided to talk to someone with a little more brains." Thalia scoffed. 

"You could have talked to anybody else."

"Yeah, but you are also my best friend," Annabeth said. I slid off the bench and started walking away when the hood to my jacket was pulled back. I turned around and tried to suppress the urge to flinch. It didn't work to well.

"What's up with you?" Thalia asked. I gave a great response. So great, in fact, that it should have been recorded and used to inspire millions to fight for the rebellion.

"Uhhhh....." I looked around, hoping the answer would be written in the grass or the sky, maybe even on the side of the building. No such luck.

"Whatever," Thalia said, rolling her eyes. "I wasn't telling you the thousands of reasons not to skip that song."

"What song?" Annabeth asked curiously.

"Hero, by Skillet." I held up my phone for the two girls to look at.

"The song is already over, no need to skip it." 

"Pillar is a good band as well," Thalia noted, looking at the song that played. I sighed wanting to just sit alone like I always did. A short elf looking kid ran over. He had grease stains covering about twenty-five percent of his shirt.

"Why hello Thalia," he said in a very fake British accent. Thalia smacked him upside the head.

"Shut up Leo." Annabeth snickered slightly. 

"Whatever," Leo responded. He suddenly noticed I was standing there. "Who's this?"

"He's--" Thalia started, but I cut her off.

"Leaving." I turned around and slid my backpack back onto a shoulder and started walking off.

"Ok. By Leaving!!" I heard Leo should after me. Thalia said something to him before all three of them turned and walked back to their group of friends. I walked into the cafeteria, before walking over to the stage. I jumped and sat on one of the corners. Nobody ever pays attention to the stage.