Chapter 41

Percy POV:

I laid on Leo's floor, actually pretty comfortable. He offered to let me sleep in the bed, but I declined. I was staring at the ceiling, lost in thought. Leo was snoring and content. My mind flashed back to my 'daydream' from a while ago. 

I shook my head, trying to clear my mind. I closed my eyes, easily falling asleep. 

I opened my eyes to find a darkened room. I could see a table a couple inches in front of me. There was a plate of blue cookies sitting in the middle of the table. I reached for one, hoping they were real.

"Don't spoil your dinner," a female voice said. Walking into my vision, the woman had her hair pulled back into a ponytail with just a couple strands falling into her face. I felt myself tearing up.

"Mom?" I asked, my voice breaking. 

"It's me, honey." She sat across from me at the table. "It's been way to long since we got to talk."

"Wha-- how-- I don't understand." Tears streamed down my face. Mom reached across the table, wiping my face with her thumb.

"I've been busy with work the last month and we haven't had a chance to sit down together." I shook my head. 

"What are you talking about? You couldn't have been busy with work," I said. She smiled softly at me.

"When did you grow up. I feel like I missed your entire childhood," Mom said gently, rubbing the side of my face. 

"I don't get it. I thought you-- I was there when Gabe-" I broke down into sobs. 

"Gabe didn't do anything sweetie," she said. "He is a wonderful man who would never do anything to hurt us."

"No, no, no," I whispered. "That's not true."

"What are you talking about?" Mom looked me in the eyes. I tried to explain what he did to her, but my words failed me. 

"I don't understand," I whimpered. 

"Hey, Percy." Gabe took a seat. Mom gave him a peck on the cheek to greet him.

"No, this is all wrong. You both are--" I looked between the two. They both looked at me like I was crazy. 

"Percy, what has gotten into you?" Mom asked. I opened my mouth to speak. Gabe looked at me expectantly and I stayed silent. Last time I saw that glance, it was a warning to stop speaking. 

"Percy, are you okay?" Gabe asked. I wanted to scream for help. I wanted to wake up, but a part of me wanted to stay here with mom. Gabe reached out his hand and I flinched away.

"Percy?" Mom asked. "Why are you doing this?"

I looked at her. I felt helpless. I figured she of all people would understand. Both Gabe and Mom stood up and walked around the table to me. 

"Why are you being so disrespectful?" Gabe asked. 

"Do you think you deserve better than us?" Mom questioned. 

"No, I-" 

"Are we not good enough for you?" Gabe continued.

"Do we not work hard enough for you?" Her voice was getting more aggressive as she spoke, matching with Gabe perfectly. 

"All we wanted was to take care of you, but you repay us by being a spoiled brat," said at the same time.

"I worked all day to feed you," Gabe said.

"I cooked for you and tucked you into bed," Mom said.

"Yet, you still never learned how to be thankful for what you got," Gabe spoke.