Chapter 44

Leo's POV:

I quickly pulled away, very flustered. I couldn't believe I did that. I felt my face flush bright red.

"Oh my gods, I am so sorry," I said, trying to keep from stuttering. Percy just stared at me, stunned. Om my gods, I am such an idiot! I thought to myself. 

"You just--" he said. I gulped, terrified of his reaction. I made a huge mistake! I thought. Percy blinked and looked at me. "What am I-- how am I..." he trailed off.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean too." I sat down in an empty chair. "I'm so, so sorry."

"I don't know how to react," he said honestly. He was still very confused. 

"I-- what do you mean?" I asked. 

"How am I supposed to feel?" he asked. I couldn't tell if he was serious or not. 

"What- what do you mean?" I repeated. He does realize that I can't tell him how to feel. 

"I don't know what to do," Percy said, sounding a little scared. I couldn't tell if I heard him right. I blinked, trying to figure out what to explain. 

"Are you mad at me?" I asked. 

"No." he shook his head. I blinked, not expecting that. Percy continued speaking. "I should be mad... It's just... I don't understand... why?"

"Uh-- well," I blushed. I had two choices. Tell him how much I actually like him, or lie. Both of which had a chance of ruining our friendship. I knew I was taking forever to answer, but he sat there patiently. "Because... um.. I was dared to?"

Percy knit his eyebrows in confusion. I mean, I technically wasn't wrong. Piper did actually dare me to kiss him.

"It was just a dare?" He asked. I couldn't tell what he was thinking, but it didn't seem to be good. "There wasn't any actual emotion behind it?"

I didn't know what to say. I tried to speak, but my throat closed up. Percy was visibly upset by my lack of answer. 

"I should go home," he said, standing up and yanking his bag off of the floor. I flinched slightly, not expecting it. 

"Wait, no. Percy!" I said standing up and following him. What the hell was I thinking?!  Percy turned around quickly and faced me again.

"What?" he said, clearly trying not to yell. 

"Please let me explain," I asked. "I know you already gave me the chance and I blew it, but, please." I blinked away tears, knowing he had more of a chance to walk out on me than letting me talk. 

"I did already give you a chance,"he agreed. "Gabe was a horrible person, but he did teach me a couple things. He would always beg for me to stay so he could 'explain,' but it always made it worse. I already gave you a chance. Please... don't talk to me for a while."

Before he could turn around, I wrapped my arms around his chest. I was shaking and sobbing. I begged him to stay.

"Stop," he said, softly. "Please, just.. . stop. What you did.. I-" his voice broke. I buried my face into the crook of his neck. His arms were still at his side. After a couple moments, Percy spoke again. "You played my emotions. For a minute there, I thought.. I thought you liked me the same way I liked you. Guess I was wrong."

Percy gently pushed me off of him and walked out the front door. I broke down, falling to the ground sobbing. I couldn't believe it. Because I was to much of a coward to tell him how I actually felt, I lost him. I wanted to call someone, but everyone would probably shun me. I was such an asshole.

***

Over the next couple weeks, Percy and I didn't talk. He pulled himself away from group activities until eventually he quit coming all together. One day, I was sitting in the hallway after school, trying to get caught up on my homework. I heard someone walking down the hall and I looked up to see him. He noticed me and promptly turned away.

"Wait," I called, getting his attention. He stopped walking but kept his back turned towards me. I stood up and quickly made my way over. "Can we please talk?"

"About what?" he asked, sounding very bitter. "Do you wanna know what happened from my point of view? Fine. I trusted you, more than anyone else. Ever. I told you some of the horrible things my step-father did. I was actually able to start opening up to someone. And yes, I was getting feeling I probably shouldn't have. But then you took out my heart, threw it to the ground and stomped on it. Forgive me if I got a little upset."

He started walking away again.

"I'm an asshole," I said. "You have every right to walk away from me. But please don't walk away from everyone else. They didn't do anything wrong." 

He didn't stop walking and I kept talking.

"I was also a pussy. You asked if there was any actual emotion behind it. There was. I was being stupid, and I didn't have the courage to tell you how I really felt. I was so worried I'd lose you, that I did." I was looking at the ground. I couldn't see or hear Percy's reaction. 

Out of nowhere, I am wrapped in a warm hug. I look up slightly to see Percy. He had his eyes closed and a soft smile on his face. I wrap my arms around him as well. We stand there for a couple minutes before Percy lets go. He takes a step back and smiles at me.

"You are very lucky I can't hate you," he said, laughing slightly. I nod and laugh. "How about tomorrow in first period, we sit together again?"

I nodded and smiled brighter. He smiled back at me. He planted a small peck on my forehead before walking off.

"Don't pull anything like that again," he called back to me.

I know y'all (very aggressively) told me to take care of myself. But I really wanted to write this. I'm actually kind of proud of it. Though it might just be me. 

I can't believe you guys actually care about this story so much. Though I do request that you don't post comments like "Update" or "Please Update" or anything like that. They do get on my nerves, especially here lately. I have been posting almost everyday, and those comments really discourage me. And now, I am going to be petty here, but those comments make me think the people posting those comments don't care about my mental health. The only reason I actually started posting everyday was to avoid those comment (then morphed into me actually being proud of myself)

I know you all mean well, but I do not like those comments. On the website of Wattpad you can see how long ago the story was updated. I can't remember if mobile does or not. It doesn't matter though, because a lot of people will get a notification about me updating and y'all could always look at the time stamp on that. 

Anyways, off my rant now. Thank you to all that are telling me to take a break. If I need a break, I will take one, don't worry. In the moment, writing chapters is mentally straining for me, but the feeling I get from all the positive comments makes it worth it. I love seeing how much you all enjoy my writing, even if I don't. I love you all so much!