Is This An Emergency?

I woke up to the usual silence and my alarm clock ringing. I reached out from my mound of soft items and blindly searched for the source of the annoying beeping. I eventually turned it off and uncovered myself from my mound before I got dressed, but I couldn't.

I looked around my room for the outfit Mommy always puts out for me before I go to bed, but I couldn't find it. I shrugged and grabbed the first things I saw in my dresser drawer and put them on before brushing out my hair.

I then left my room and walked into the kitchen to pour myself a bowl of cereal. Normally Mommy was sitting in the kitchen reading the morning paper, but today she wasn't. Maybe she just slept in a little longer. I shrugged it off and continued to get ready for school.

After I was completely ready I had five extra minutes before the bus came to pick me up. I should probably wake up Mommy before I go. I walked up to her room, but she wasn't in her bed. Daddy's side of the bed was already empty because his work shift starts before I get up, so that was normal.

I continued to walk around the house to find her and eventually found Mommy asleep on the couch. I wanted to wake her up, but there were too many broken items on the floor for me to get to her.

"Mommy!" She groaned and turned over a bit. She just needs some time to wake up I guess. I tried to keep myself calm and think about what Mommy would have me do. I think this would be when she tells me to get my shoes on and go outside to get on the bus.

I nodded at my own instructions and put my shoes and coat on. "I'm leaving for school now Mommy!" I then walked outside and stood by the end of the street with the other kids to get on the bus.

Mommy will be up by the time I come home. She has to be.

...

"Does anyone know what to do incase of an emergency?"

I looked at the teacher confused. Today was the second grade classes day for safety. We already learned what to do if a fire happens and if someone wants to give us candy and we don't know them. I honestly don't understand the whole candy thing. It's free candy! Why not? But the teacher says we can't go get the candy out of the van. Does this mean I can't ever have candy? I started to internally panic. I love candy! I don't want to not have candy! Is teacher a candy hater? I don't like candy haters. I get rid of candy haters.

"Do we call 911?"

The teacher smiled at the kid who said that. I don't really know the kids in my class, they're all too loud for me.

"That's right Taemin! When something bad happens, you call 911 as soon as possible. But you can never call 911 unless you are absolutely sure it is an emergency."

Should I call 911 for Mommy?

"Minseo." I looked up at the teacher.

"Yes?" She sighed and I dropped my head. I should be paying attention more.

"I asked you what number you call when there is an emergency."

"Oh, 911?"

She smiled. "That's right. Just pay attention next time, okay?" I nodded.

"Now who is ready for snack time?" We all raised our hands and lined up so we could wash up and eat.

...

"Mommy! I'm home!" I closed the door behind me and walked to where I last saw her. "Mommy?"

This time she didn't groan, she just laid there on the couch with all of the sharp objects around her.

Is this an emergency? I think so. What was the number I was supposed to call again? I opened my backpack on the ground to see if it was on any of my papers from school.

"Right! 911!" I quickly jumped up from the ground and ran over to the phone. I pressed the buttons and held the phone up to my ear.

"Hello?" I winced from the deepness of the man's voice on the other side of the phone.

"Umm, my Mommy won't wake up and she's in the middle of a lot of sharp things and I'm scared." I started to cry as I realized the seriousness of the situation.

"I need you to stop crying and tell me what happened, okay?"

I nodded even though he couldn't see me and told him about the loud noises from last night and how she wasn't up this morning.

"I'm going to call an ambulance and get her some help. Can you tell me where you are?"

I looked over to the fridge where Mommy kept a pad with our address and important phone numbers on it. I told the man my address and waited for something to happen.

"Do you have any grandparents or family members that are close by that you can call?"

"I have my Uncle."

"I want you to call him once I hang up."

"Okay. Thank you."

"You're welcome sweetheart. I hope your Mom ends up all right."

The call then ended and I looked at the phone numbers on the fridge. Uncle Seungcheol was luckily on there and I dialed his number. He picked up on the second ring and I could hear faint screaming in the background from Jeonghan.

"Hey Sis. You kind of caught me at a bad time."

"Uncle Seungcheol..."

"Minseo? What's going on?"

"It's Mommy. She won't wake up."