The Essay

Minseo's College Application Essay

As the oldest of thirteen children, moments alone came very rarely. And if they did come for prolonged periods of time, something was wrong. In smaller sized families, it's very easy to keep extremely close with everyone. But in larger families, it becomes hard just to remember everyone's birthdays. We may not have a least favorite sibling, but you can bet that we all have a favorite sibling. Conflicts arise very easily, and when they do, sometimes they don't get solved until a little while later. So, I decided to fix a few.

All of my brothers are currently under the age of ten, so coloring is a big deal to a majority of them. The refrigerator is always completely covered with everyone's works of art, which occasionally causes some issues. Now, this issue of course will not be solved forever because nobody pays attention to what I'm trying to say, but at least for now it is solved. I had to do the only reasonable thing when making drawings visible for everyone. I took them all down and made everyone choose one drawing to display. A few of my older brothers could have cared less, so that made it much easier. Now everyone that cared has an equal amount of drawings and space on the fridge. For now.

Around two years ago, my Appa took us to a playground. This doesn't seem like something that would cause an issue with my brothers, but what happened there did. The oldest of the set of triplets was pushing his three year old brother on the swing set, when they switched places. The triplet was then asked if he was able to jump off the swing, but he ended up dislocating his shoulder. My three year old brother didn't quite understand the situation, so he blamed himself for the two years after that. Before this, the two were inseparable, but after you rarely saw them together. So, last night I put them in a room and made them talk it out. And right now they are curled up together watching a movie. It is too bad it took two whole years before I made them talk out the misunderstanding, but at least it's solved now.

There will always be an issue that I will not be able to solve for my family. Just like how I can never bring back our Mother so my youngest three brothers can truly remember her and not just a picture or moments us older siblings have shared. But at least for now I have solved a few before I leave them. So, I hope you will consider adding me onto your campus.